Just a simple corner building

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Well, I finally managed to get something done, it's not much, but at least it's something. I started about the same time as Robin started his CP station, so while he managed to finish 3 amazing buildings (CP station, Griswold United Church and the Court House), I managed to get only this one tiny one done.
The window are resin castings, Micro Mark, with the original window build from styrene. All in all I'm please with the result, just need more practice on the weathering side.

Attachments

• img_0535.jpg
    img_0535.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 255
F

Fred_M

That's a sweet looking building... Great work... Wish I could build them that nice...DASH

CN1

May 6, 2003
How did you make it?

Was it styrene or foam?

How did you apply the nice finish? Was it painted? IS it "fake" stucco (plaster)?

nicely done:thumb: :D :thumb: :wave:

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
jkristia, that is a very nice structure indeed what scale is it? and what else is planned for the finishing touches? How did you make the mold for the windows?

Pat
:thumb:

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
wow, first of all thanks for all the nice comments

Sir_Price, sure you can rent the top floor apartment and grow a roof garden, just don't water it too much as the cardboard support and paperback 'tar paper' might leak :)

It's made of 2 layers of 0.020" styrene strips, inner layer horizontal with 'bits' vertical, and outer layer vertical strips with 'bits' horizontal between the windows (does that make sense?). I did it this way because I thought it would be faster than cutting all the window openings in a sheet of 0.040" styrene, but I ended up spending a lot of time trying to hide/fill the small gaps that was created, so next time I will probably cut the openings and use 2 layer of 0.020" instead. One good thing though was that after I used the green putty for sealing the gaps, I sanded it with 220grit sandpaper (or was it 330, it is the finest one), and that's what gave it the kind of stucco texture.

belg, it's N scale and I used Micro Mark RTV for mold and their RS300 resin. I can try and take a picture of the 'original' window I used for the mold if it's not too tiny, but it's basically just build from 0.010" styrene and 0.020" x 0.040" for the frame.

As far as finishing touches goes, I haven't planned anything yet, but of course some window blinds, and some signs once I decide what kind of store it is, but for now I will just leave it as it is.