Just a question on black outlines...

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Lex, Aug 16, 2007.

Dark outlines on parts?

1. Great idea! It always helps making a clean and accurate cut. It's definitely a must.

30 vote(s)
  2. Do you have those lines on the real thing? If not then I don't want that on my model please.

18 vote(s)
  3. Fine with either, don't mind and don't care.

18 vote(s)
  4. Never gave a thought about that...

7 vote(s)
  1. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I always try to cut the outline completely off!

On the models I design, I fade the outline-line back a little, as well as the fold lines. Once folded they tend to be a little harder to see.

2. shrike

shrike Guest

I want an outline, but like Michael I want it as delicate as possible. I'd like it in a shade that is either a darker value of the part itself, or that matches and compliments any adjacent panel lines or graphics.

Card models, to an even greater extent than other forms of modeling, are an artistic interpretation of the subject. As such the lines will show up, and keeping them harmonious is most important.
  3. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I don't mind them at all. Most of the time they end up being painted over anyway when retuching the edges. However, I do think that the publishers could "soften" them up a little by printing them in another color rather than black. Using a brown or grey shade would take away from the harsh contrast of the black line. This is also true when painting models, very seldem do I ever use black right out of the tube, I usually tint it with a little raw umber or other color such as blue or red to get a much more natural shade.
  4. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I think a darker shade of the adjacent colour would be ideal.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I don't normally paint over my models so I'd rather prefer no edges actually... --Well of course you have to have them on white parts ^^
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Black lines

I like a cutting outline, but I view the black lines the same as I do overdone panel lines on plastic models; they don't exist on the real thing and, therefore, detract from the finished appearance of the model.

Just because it is a card (or plastic or wood, or whatever) model, it need not look like one.
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I didn't mind the black lines when I first started card modeling. But now, if I can, I download a lined and unlined version, print both off, then only build then unlined model. Using the lined print as reference only.

I find black lines can stand out worse than the white edge of the cut card.
  8. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'm doing a model now that is printed on a gray background. The parts are solid white, so it really helps keep the realism intact.
    Personally, I like the lines sometimes, like on a heavily colored part where a black line won't show. On a pure white part, I prefer it to be surrounded by gray. And dotted lines drive me crazy, too. :)
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Frankly, I hate them. I would rather use reference photos in the instructions or indicate the fold lines on the outside of the part area...

That said, my BETA files do use fold lines. Finished products will not.
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I have to agree with Ekuth. Fold lines usually take away from a finished look. If they make sense outside of the cut lines, that provides a better final design.
  11. Gainer

Gainer Member

For me, depends on how im displaying. If it is a NICE disply piece NO lines please. :) If just a quik project for fun, doesn't make a difference really. Also depends if im at home(using x-acto blades) or on the go(using a pair of scissors)
    Just an opinion
  12. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

With less than perfect older eyes I need some contrast. However the solid black on many models is overdone even to my eyes. I like the idea of the gray shading.
  13. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

About black outlines: try both cutting with the line on the part and cutting the line off of the part. Which fits best? Go that way! An alternative is to cut on the middle of the line. Fit of the parts is more important than anything else.

About score and fold lines: on the part, ONLY if the line is a part of the model's detail. And BIG and BOLD pointer marks outside the part.

And for eyes as old as mine(76 years of use in April): get an OptiVisor (check the MicroMark catalog and web site, as well jewelry and beading websites. Some hobby and craft shops carry them). You can get several different lenses, depending on how much magnification you want/need. A light on the OptiVisor is nice --- I have a CHEAP head lamp mounted on mine. [OptiVisor brand magnifiers have GOOD lenses, much better than similar and cheaper ones] I also Googled for reading glasses (which I HAVE TO use to see closer up than about 15 feet!) and found a source for "4's" (very hard to find stronger than "3's").

14. keith

keith Member

For white models, black outlines are essential :-D
    If you print reversed you can turn the part inside4 out!!!!

For models with lots of textures, i leave them out. Unless the texture is too light in which case a stand-off line 1 or 2 pixels away from the edge is used. Quite easy with modern software. And cut inside the line without leaving any line showing.

With modern printers it should be posible to print the cutting lines on the reverse of the sheet, though i haven't testing it yet with my small parts.