Just a question on black outlines...

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Lex, Aug 16, 2007.

Dark outlines on parts?

1. Great idea! It always helps making a clean and accurate cut. It's definitely a must.

30 vote(s)
  2. Do you have those lines on the real thing? If not then I don't want that on my model please.

18 vote(s)
  3. Fine with either, don't mind and don't care.

18 vote(s)
  4. Never gave a thought about that...

7 vote(s)
  1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I was just discussing this matter with Yaniv... I'd like to see what's everyone's view on having an outline on model parts. Please post your comments here:oops:
  2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Yes, I want them but as delicate as possible.
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

good ida michael u right :)
  4. Javito10

Javito10 New Member

For a beginner like me all the help I could get will be welcome. Maybe when I get more practice I can get more exquisite with this things.:mrgreen:
  5. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i tihnk like u javito but whan i tray it i found that its realy hard to cut clean
    but whan i have a outline (maybe gray 1 not must have black 1) its more esey to make cus aspacial in the smol parts
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I've downloaded a couple of models that had the outline in a shade darker than the part color.

But, I too still need some sort of lines to help me out at my level....
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I don't mind cut lines. I wish score lines were always external to the part - I know many designers are going that way - but it isn't always the case.
    Also I personally do want the lines on tubes to keep them in line (fuselages, etc). I know that typically you align the glue mark, but I like having the 'tic's to align both sides myself.
  8. 46rob

46rob Member

Lots of us hjave older eyes--and need all the help we can muster, especially on light colored parts. Light outlines are a good thing.
  9. cjd

cjd Member

also an indication of whether to cut on the inside or outside of the line - probably not necessary for the better modellers, but very useful for people like me

10. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

IMHO the two things that will make a paper model look like it is a paper model is the uncolored white edge of the paper and black cut lines or bend lines.

I prefer mid gray lines or 2 to 4 shades darker then the base color of the part.

Jim Nunn
  11. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

When I started, I couldn't figure out whether or not to cut inside or outside the line. I like an outline. I want fold lines to be outside the part unless they are an integral part of the pattern. Dotted lines drive me nuts.
  12. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Since my models are heavily graphics-oriented, I never, ever use lines to outline a part.

If the part has indistinct edges, I place it in a solid gray-shaded "box" on the part sheet. I use a gray that has enough contrast to make cutting easy, yet won't really be evident if a sliver appears on the cut part. Since a solid shaded area is more easily perceived by the eye than a thin line, you can use a rather light gray and the edge is still evident.

I also prefer this technique because it's intuitive - there is no question about cutting inside or outside some line.

As for printing score lines right across the model graphics, I'm sorry, but in my book any designer who does that is not a serious designer, I don't care how complex the model is. Anyone who gives so little thought or care as to how the final product will appear has missed the boat on the whole point of the exercise.
  13. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

I don't like black corners so I think score lines are best indicated off the part or if they have to there be in a darker shade of the base colour. Cut lines aren't so much a problem, but I'd still rather they weren't there.
  14. Gainer

Gainer Member

it would be nice if models came with outlines and no outlines so a modeler of any epierience level can cut and build it with no problem, just an idea
  15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Outlines are OK as long as the model is designed so you cut inside the line. Personally I prefer just to see the colour of the part stop, and I cut up to the edge of the colour.

Lines marking folds are a definite no-no if they are visible on the model.
  16. dansls1

dansls1 Member

This would be possible for digital models, but is not really practical for printed models - the print quantities seem so small that I doubt they could justify double setups or double printing.
  17. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

I really like the idea of the parts being surrounded by a box of grey. cool idea.
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have to agree with a couple ideas here for sure. I like black outlines where the colors are indistinct (like pale yellow on white) if the edge is obvious no line. If there is an outline then the entire outline should be cut off or it should be thin enough that the cut basically removes it. I color all edges so if a touch of black gets left it will generally get covered up anyway. But then again I am not as fussy as some. Also ANY score lines on the model itself are a no no. I like it where the score lines are small lines that line up on either side of the part to be scored.
  19. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Me too, but how many times have you cut out a piece, and then realised you forgot to score it first wall1

Nice to see you back Chris - we'd missed you
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Made that mistake a few times but I would rather have to reprint a sheet then have score lines on the model. You can reprint on standard paper in draft mode then overlay the better piece on the cheap printout to see where you missed (if you cant eyeball it)

Been on vacation so havent been around much anywhere. Back to work now so more time for my hobbies ;)