Just a kick in the &%^#

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by allhallowseve, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Well its comeing in to that time of year again ,

I leave work at 5.00am drive of 10min at the most
    only to pull to me house and park the car Just like any other morning
    Wrong!! i have a mazda 626 4 cyc 91 .. Now i go and stop car in front of the house i grab the shifter to put in park.. insted the " R" lite up on the dash i look at shift on the floor it clears show "P" is lite up So i reshift back to drive and it does , i now reshift back to park w the same thing again R on the dash
    P on the floor .. (NO pun there) so my guess is the shift cable broken ..
    Great !! At least i hope its just that :( only be cause the tran was working find And i now i also know me E-brake don't work also !! And now the car won't start because i can't use the shifter to work it has a safey that the car wil only start in park ... and the mech across the street does't work on weekends SHOOT ME PLEASE !!
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Have you tried starting the car in neutral - I thought some of the safeties would allow starts in both P and N?
  3. erikstoll

erikstoll New Member

thats why you never buy a car with a shifter on the column, ever
    learned that the hard way after the 91' Acclaim had that happen
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The linkage probably disconnected at the transmission shift arm or the mechanism that allows you to adjust the cable may have popped loose.

Either case I doubt that the cable broke because they are usually made like a bike brake cable. The transmission cable operates in a way that doesn't require a great amount of stress like say a parking brake cable, unless for some reason there was something that got in there and damaged the shroud of the shift cable and thus the braided wire inside.

I think if you just get someone to sit in the vehicle and with the hood open look down to where the cable sits on the transmission and look for something moving, your going to see what looks like a plastic end with a spring on it (larger than a car cigarette lighter) on the end of a cable with something sliding back and forth.

If you have a car repair manual for that vehicle you can locate this better and also help show what needs to be done to reattach it and readjust it.

On my 88' Cutlass Supreme I had the same issue. When I fixed it I had to find a common gear for the shifter and transmission arm. Neutral. With the car on a level surface and in neutral both shifter and transmission lined up. I placed the cable end back on the transmission and pushed the locking button on the adjuster so that it's position was locked and voila.
  5. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Well the good news its fixed !!! My wife brother was able to look at and fix's it w/ no problum :) What happen was 1 of screw fell out and other screw was way to loose the cable wasn't move anything he fix it in 10min

Yahoooooooooooo !!

Thank for all your insite on the matter if it happen again . i'll have a better idea on what do ..

ps ... oh that means i have to go work now Dam !!! oh well
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.