Jupiter II LIS!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CJTK1701, Jan 22, 2008.

1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I've got to have a Jupiter II. I've sat on e-bay and looked and bid and looked and bid and I'm sick of not having a Jupiter II. It's not that they weren't there, I just refused to pay the price and I refuse even now.

So, in the interest of fairness to all, let's get valid data together to build a Jupiter II.

Anyone willing to work on this? Anyone have any valid data?

All information will be shared equally and all contirbutions will be noted and given credit.:thumb:

Thank you in advance.:mrgreen:
  2. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Ron actually mentioned to me today he's planning on doing one, why dont you drop him a line?
  3. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Don't know what happened here.
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Which jupiter 2, the original series one or the new film one.

The new film jupiter 2 is on my wish list.
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Oh, if Ron's working on one then it should be right on the money. Cool.:thumb:
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

OS, of course. that travesty from the movie is not on my list either.
  8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

The film was utter rubbish, but I liked the ship.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I kind of liked the movie, but yeah, it went off the deep end. I heard rumors some time ago that they were going to redo the series, but it fell flat for some reason.
  10. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Jupiter 2 project is still in the works

Hi all,
    I apologize for my lack of progress, but I just wanted to assure you that the Jupiter 2 project is not dead, nor are there any plans to drop it either.

Thank you for the inquiries and interest, it helps to keep me focused on finishing this model. Too many distractions as I know Skip, Oylpslyk and many others can attest!

I have a resolution this year (from a wise man): finish all started projects before starting a new one. But man, there's just too many cool things to do...

Happy New Year to all and I'll get this done. I promise!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

No need to apologize! I think everyone you mentioned has a degree of ADD and things just get turned around. I myself suffer from the same thing, to many projects, to many interests and not enough time, throw in a helping of real life and..... There you go!

I'm just glad you're working on it. With a pro like you on the job, it'll be beautimus!:thumb:

12. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

lol, just be carefull Ron, most of that "wise man"s wisdom comes from comic-books and cartoons.... :)
  13. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

I know this is OT, but the idea of a revised series causes my brain to hurt.

I could just imagine Ron Moore coming up with a pilot that caused CBS executives heads to explode. A robot that's 'fully equipped' for all emergencies, a Dr. Smith that spends most of his time having an affair with himself inside his head, Major West two timing Judy and Penny. Will builds his own inter-dimensional portal and just disappearing one day, but returns over and over in various ages and shapes. Maureen believes that Professor Robinson is spending an in-ordinate amount of time with the Robot...
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Sounds like fun!:mrgreen::thumb:
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Woo Hoo! I found some interesting 3D models of the Robot and the Jupiter II, Here....

ELF Works - Free 3D Objects!

Maybe now I can get started on building one of these. WHOOT!:mrgreen:
  16. davelant

davelant Member

My first thought was to check out the plans drawn up by Ron Gross some years back. This skilled amateur modeler and artist built a plastic prototype that served as the basis for the fondly remembered Polar Lights injection kit. Low res copies of two blueprint sketches are here,along with Ron's thoughts on reconciling contradictory sets and models from the show:

CultTVman: Ron Gross's Jupiter 2 Blueprints

(May require registration.) As I looked around, google led me to the post where I found that Ron Caudillo has already been in contact with Ron Gross for his design project.

Good news is that there are several ways to make a Jupiter II that could be supported; there's no one right way.
  17. davelant

davelant Member

18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

"There is no right way?" doesn't that fly in the face of all that is Holy amongst fans?

Of course there is a right way, the ultimate, uber anal, right way. There is no way, but the right way?

Sorry, I've just had all of the ............ I can stand. Of course there is a right way. It seems to me, however, that there are many right ways. I like to think that there has to be some middle ground for modelers between *Screen Accuracy* and realism.

Unless you have the measurements of the original master then you have to be subjective. Even the measurements of the master are subjective, depending on who is doing the measuring.

Am I suggesting "close enough is good enough" no!? There has to be some in-between point. Some point where it obviously can't be perfect, but where it is acceptable.

There needs to be some form of *freedom of information* on this type of thing.

When people close down sites and purposely withhold information for the express purpose of making a profit.... Somethings wrong. This comes from a conservative!
  19. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Jupiter 2 dimensions

Hi all,
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

Discussions for the Jupiter 2 dimensions will probably always exist. The problem is that the interior sets were designed and built with no attention paid to the external dimensions generally accepted to be the best.

I have been in contact with Ron Gross who graciously sent me some scanned jpgs of hand drawings he created a long time ago. Why use Ron Gross? I figured you have to start somewhere and since he has been involved the development of the Polar Lights plastic version, I would just use Ron's dimensions and interior layout, even though Polar Lights decided on their own version. Ron has been very good to help me settle a few sticky points and was very generous in sharing his work with me. I'm sure there are differing opinions and sources, but using Ron's work is my decision.

I have decided to use 48 feet as the diameter of the Jupiter 2. Using Ron's interior drawings as a guide, I worked out an interior that is both sensible and also that it fits into the 48 foot hull. I am only designing the upper level as that only requires a minor bit of resizing to get everything to fit. If I used the stage set dimensions, the hull diameter would be larger and I wanted to stick with the 48 foot dimension that Ron discusses and uses. To avoid any sizing issues with the lower level, I have decided to not model this area.

Interior details are based on screen captures from DVDs and also using textures developed by Pendercrafts. The guys at pendercrafts develop MS Flight Simulator add-ons and have been kind enough to share with me all of their work and have even added me on board and to host all of my current and future models.

Thank you all for interest in this project. As always, I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism. It's all for the good of the hobby! I refuse, however to get sucked into discussions that demean or tear down someone else's work or opinions.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Fantastic Ron! I'm really glad you're on this project and can't wait to see what you come up with. Everything you said makes perfect, logical sense. I understand the problem with dimensions and wouldn't worry to much about the lower levels either. If some industrious designer wants to add to the model later, that's great too.

Your reasoning makes sense. I can't see where this would cause any disagreeable issues.:thumb:

Rock on Ron!:mrgreen:

Edit: I did see another set of prints and actually have them somewhere, but that set of prints made the Jupiter II much more massive and not quite the sized ship we saw on the screen. I think Ron's prints are a good way to go. Sorry if I'm rambling on this subject, but I've given this a lot of thought and have often been torn between references.

Edit II: I think this print puts everything into perspective so to speak....
    CultTVman: Ron Gross's Jupiter 2 Profiles