June 04 Photo Contest: Archive Open/magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
This months contest will be an open topic, as long as it is rail related, and Photo Magic is allowed! This can be modeled or prototype as long as it somehow relates to a railroad. One entry per person please and no questions in this thread. Positive comments are welcome and encouraged through the thread :D Please post questions here:

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=101628#post101628

Photo Magic is considered electronic manipulation of the photo to give a quite a different appearance. An example would be placing you model train onto a prototypical background. Or placing yourself in the cab of your model. Noramlly major photo magic is not allowed, except for adjustments and small subtle additions like smoke or a lighted headlamp.

The Primary Subject must be your own photograph, new or old, while the background and added details don't have to be. They can be created on computer or borrowed from another source. A borrowed image must be with permission, or in the public domain. NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENTS PLEASE!!!

This contest will end June 27 after 6 PM Central. I'll try to close it out and setup the vote Sunday night, if not Monday morning. The latest time you can safely plan to enter is 6 PM Sunday night! I really mean it this time!

F

Fred_M

Midnight Auto Supply

I built the models and photographed the foreground and background images. I'm not real good at model magic but I tried. :) FRED

contest.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. #1 waits while coal is delivered to the coaling facility. The engineer is out on the running board, and had just cleared away some debris that had fallen from above the tunnel portal.

Attachments

• shsx1a.jpg
    shsx1a.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 636

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Spring, 1970 and "Bazooka Joe", the B&MC's faithful Leslie Rotary Plow, looks forward to a long restful summer as an unknown hogger packs up after a hard day switching the lower yard, anxious to blow off some steam in his little piece of Detroit muscle. Unknown at the time, this would Bazooka Joe's last winter, having been replaced by a diesel blower, thus being knocked out of contention as the nation's longest running steam driven Leslie in regular operation. Given to a local railroad display, it will eventually be forgotten, then scrapped, a victim of neglect and vandalism. But that's another time and place.

The car is a Metal Miniatures, the setting is a 12"x30" shop diorama. The plow is a kitbash and the loco is a highly modified Athearn Hustler. Shot outdoors with a Fujifilm Finepix A210 in natural sunlight then copied in sepia.

Attachments

• oldblow5 (2).jpg
    oldblow5 (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 546

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Cool pics.Like the old time look(Contest idea?)
Central New England, Consolodation, waits at the trainshed for what may be her last assignment. Poking its nose in the shot, is a brand new GP-9, which is already taking a lot of work away from the tired old girl.

Attachments

• Consoldation-Old.JPG
    Consoldation-Old.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 518

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
A freigtht train thunders past the Matheson Mine, on the Poor Fork RR...

Attachments

• highballin1.jpg
    highballin1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 497
May 27, 2004
Winnipeg,MB
Wife doesn't have an account here so im posting for her. CPR 2816 at full steam coming eastbound from Oakbank,Manitoba on may 20th 2004. Her first train picture and from the look of it not the last.

Attachments

• sunset 2 crop2.JPG
    sunset 2 crop2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 481

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Timewarp Cartoon on the right,- trains on the left. and in between. :D :eek:
Shamus
magical1.jpg

Belmarvalley

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Okay, I'll give this a try. My first entry...

A storm approaches a quartet of freshly painted N&W hoppers (hope the paint’s dry).

The foreground shot is from my N-scale layout. The stormy background was digitally added into the shot.

aew.sized.jpg

P

philip

gauge boxcar

I was messing around and came up with this simple photo.

Attachments

• p1010120.jpg
    p1010120.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 444

shaywen

Dec 31, 2003
Visit site
Heisler

Photographed with my Fuji Finepix 2400Z and altered in Photoshop.

Attachments

• SteamingHeisler.jpg
    SteamingHeisler.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 412
This is David, a conductor at the Oklahoma Rail Museum. The shot was taken on an excursion train the museum runs about once a month. He's on the rear platform of the caboose as the train is running backwards towards the museum. He stands there and calls the whistle posts to the engineer in the locomotive (a small GE centercab switcher). He also has a whistle of his own on the caboose. His left hand is wrapped around the whistle which is connected to the main brake pipe. Pushing the whistle forward a few degrees lets some of the air escape through the mouth of the whistle. It's not a very loud noise, but it was something I had never seen before.

acf.sized.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Man there is some great use of photography, special effects, and just plain ol' good modeling here! :thumb:

Pictured below is the work of a local artist and train fan who drew this sketch of the industrial side of Kings Port. The Steel Mill complex with its blast furnaces on the left and ganrty crane for loading coils are visible as is Canton Paper Co. locted right on the canal running through this part of the city.

Attachments

• coloringbook2.jpg
    coloringbook2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 227

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
In the early morning sun, David keeps an eye out for wayward loggers as his loaded loggin' train backs off to a siding to let Badger Crick #1 through with a string of empty log buggies.

Thanks to BDC for permission to use the photo of David the Conductor! Gee, did you think you would end up competing with your own entry?

Attachments

• Juneentry.JPG
    Juneentry.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 193

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Weather forecast here predicts temperatures in the high 80s for this weekend. So I thought I could send something refreshing like Jo Grant did: A little bit of snow, but this time it's the 1:1 stuff.

Two men of a MoW crew are busy repairing the linkage of a turnout on a cloudy and windy 25°F morning. Railroading isn't always fun and sunshine... :(

Ron

Attachments

• WeichenreparaturSchnee.jpg
    WeichenreparaturSchnee.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.