Junction RR

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
The "What's a junction" thread under general topics make me start thinking about a layout design with a junction as it's focal point. Here's the general idea:

- Trains leave from Point A, and at the junction go to either B or C. Trains from B or C always go to A.

-There is no direct line between B and C, trains from B with loads for C would have to leave them at the junction for pickup by a train from A to C, and vice versa. Why? Because 1) there isn't enough B-C traffic to justify a separate train, or even to justify a connection, and 2) It allows for switching opportunities at the junction.

- There would also be some industries, or at least a team track, at the juction, and maybe some "along the way".

In the diagram (please excuse, I used Paint), the blue vertical line is a backdrop, so everything to the left of it is "hidden but accessible." The green thingie is a ridge or something, just to separate the tracks to A and B. The red lines are the infamous cassettes. You could get along with just one if you wanted to sometimes back into it.

Things I kinda like about this: It provides continuous running if you want it, or to build up "smiles", but is still sorta point-to-point. It provides some sort of reason for a train to go somewhere.

Submitted for your approval..

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Bill, That seems to be an excellent idea. Reminds me of what used to be called Muscogee Junction here. The Central of Ga's Birmingham Div. ended at the junction and split into the Albany Div...South bound...and the Macon Div...East bound. But there was an even better "kicker"...There was an interchange with the Atlantic Coast Line too....a small interchange yard and several industries including a lumber company and a company that made cast concrete pipes. Its all gone now except for the line to Macon, Ga. but the name is still there on the sign.

Man! one could cram a lot of operation into a layout built around that kind of theme.