Jumping ship

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by 1GUNRUNNER, Apr 24, 2007.

1GUNRUNNER New Member

I have been annoying the HO guys with some of my newbie questions but, have now realized I need to go bigger. I am going to do an early 20th century logging scene. HO is going to be too small for what I have to work with. What guage will give me a track with ties that is in the 4" width area and have a good selection of the era I am looking for?
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

wow, i think G is as close as your going to get as far as track,
  3. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

4. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

G scale will do it unless you go to live steam. :D

1GUNRUNNER New Member

4" is what I have to run on. It will be an overhead layout that runs on a 4" beam. It is about 9' in the air and the HO was just going to be too small.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

if thats why, then go with O.

1GUNRUNNER New Member

Well where is the difference between O and G?
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

O is smaller than G.
    Ho is half of O
    N is just really tiny.

If you've only got a 4" wide space, you're going to want to run O gauge to give your train some balancing room. If you go with G, you're not going to have enough room. Personally, I would still run Ho just to be safe but O will run.
  9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

To put in just a little differant way.

O gauge is twice the size of HO

G gauge is twice the size of O gauge (in some cases)

N gauge is Half the size of HO

10. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

G is more than twice the scale of O. US O is 1/48, UK O is 1/43, some European O is 1/45. What is often called G encompasses several scales. "True" G is 1/22.5. F is 1/20.3. These are more than twice the size of O, but are only used to model narrow gauge prototypes. Large scale models of standard gauge prototypes are Gauge 1 (1/32) or the now-more-common-but-nameless 1/29.
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

How can it be more common if it's nameless? :confused:
  12. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Search me... Then again, nothing about the various forms of "large scale" ever made sense to me.
  13. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

If you really want to go with O - then that would be better than G, mostly because of what's available vs. cost..

But HO looks good on my 1 X 4" shelf :) :) All around my dining room.... about 9" high.....

Attached Files:

14. Travellar

Travellar Member

I'm just glad that I realised I mis-read the original post, I thought he said 4 foot ties!