JU88 A4 1/32 by ModelArt

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nemesis7485, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

This is my third paper model and my first aeroplane. You can tell I'm new to paper models as this puppy took me around 180 hours over a 7 week period.

I came across a few issues with this build. Like I say, I'm new to it so it may be par for the course, but this kit had many parts incorrectly numbered, the formers for the fuselage were consistently too small and the instructional diagrams at times left alot to the imagination as to how to construct certain parts and where to put them.

In the end though, it didn't turn out too bad.

2. Texman

Texman Guest

Okay, let me make sure I understood. THIRD paper kit, and FIRST airplane? You, have skills you don't understand yet. That is simply
    amazing with the above mentioned conditions. Nicely done.

I personally hate to see what your 20th kit will look like.

3. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Thanks very much for your comments, Ray.

To be fair though, I have quite alot of experience with plastic aeroplane kits so I dare say that helped. I have to be honest, though. I'm finding paper kits way more of a challenge than plastic and far more enjoyable.
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

I know what you mean. I spent about 30 years in plastic. When I got a taste of winning contests, I started chasing the contest genie. As I build 1/144 scale aircraft, it shouldn't take 6-10 months to build one kit. So, as I discovered, paper kits give me more variety (because I can scale some of the more esoteric planes) so I can show aircraft that would never see the light of day in plastic. And, there is little cleanup and health problems than that that comes with plastic cements and paints. Plus, I can actually fill my cabinets with more than dust! Win/win for me.

Again, great job, and I look forward to many more.

5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looks good - thanks for sharing the pictures ;)
  6. sakrison

sakrison Member

Shhhh! That's our best-kept secret.
    I belong to an IPMS chapter in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. A few of the members frequently do kit reviews for FINESCALE MODELER Magazine, so their skills are impressive.

I'm the only one who is not a "plasti-holic." (I guess I'm a "recovering plasti-holic.") The plastic modelers concede that the paper aircraft kits I build are more of a challenge than plastic, and that the kits hold their own as scale models. But the plasti-holics haven't yet figured out how much fun I'm having.

You did an excellent job on the Ju-88! Not an easy project. Thank you for sharing it.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Dang, 1st plane? That looks great! And as a former plastic modeler, I too can attest to the extra challange yet more fun factors!

8. barry

barry Active Member

Awesome job wish I had built it. Please on the next one show us the build pics.
  9. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. I appreciate all the encouragement.

I've already started my next model which is the WWII US Airborne soldier by 3Dpaper. I know this one has already been recently covered by Mark so I won't do a build thread on this one but I will for my next model. That one will be my first armour model in ANY medium so I'll show you how I get on, warts 'n all. Hopefully I won't embarrass myself, lol.
  10. eric_son

eric_son Member

All I can say is.... WOW!!!!

Will you also be making the DO17 from ModelArt?
  11. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Hi Eric son,

I don't have the DO17 on my to do list right now because I haven't found it on any of the stores I look at that say it has English destructions. I'm just not experienced enough yet to be able to make a model from diagrams, alone. When I find one, It'll certainly be going on my list, though.
  12. eric_son

eric_son Member

You can get the DO17 from the same place where you got the JU88. Paper Models from Card-Models.com

(I purchased the Do17 from ModelArt but am still too lazy to start building. It has English instructions.)

The DO17 has a bubble nose window. You may have to do some vacuforming for it.
  13. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Ooh! Thanks for the info, Eric Son.

I don't have the first clue how I vacuum-form summin, though. What kit do I need to do that?
  14. eric_son

eric_son Member

I've yet to try it myself. :oops:

Check out this thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t139211/
  15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Congratulations on a fine construction, Nemesis.

It is one item on my to-do list, and your pics definitively be helpful.
  16. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Thanks, Milenio and glad the pics were helpful.