JU87 DeWaynes models

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Dec 7, 2004.

1. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Well Barry the plane is looking great as usual. For gluing the canopy to card I used to use tacky glue, but it takes too long to dry and doesn't hold quite well enough for my liking. It can also make quite a mess if you use too much. The last canopy I made I used glue from the super glue corporation called future glue. To me it is essentially regular super glue. I've heard of problems with super glue hazing the plastic but it didn't happen at all to me so you may want to test it before final application.
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Ju-87 Dewayne's models

For canopies I use a glue called GEM-TAC by beacon. It looks and acts like regular white tacky glue but it really is "supposed" to be used for gluing rhinestones etc to fabric. The stuff is pretty fast drying, dries clear, and works pretty good. It doesn't take too much tension, ie try to prebend the clear stuff before glueing the paper to it. For preformed canopies this stuff is great. In the US it's found in craft stores like Michaels or AC Moore. Green wrapper in a white tube.
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

She looks great, Barry!

I was wondering what the best glue was for gluing card to plastic myself, having had the horrific experience with the quarter galleries...luckily they are flat and no stress on the joint! :shock:

I'll have to look for that GEM-TAC, cmdrted, and give it a try. Does it dry glossy or flat?

Keep at it, mate, she's coming along very well! :D

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

One trick I've used to relieve stresses on "flat sheet" canopies is to hold the acetate in the final shape (flex) you want and heat the part with a hand-held hair blow dryer (as hot as you can stand to hold), then allow to cool while maintaining the part in the flexed position. With a little practice, you will be able to make the plastic "take a set" in the desired final shape. If you have a very light touch (and use a toothpick as an applicator), Testor's plastic cement can be used to join the seams (especially if the seam will be covered by the paper canopy frame). I have on a few occasions managed to successfully (defined as no crazing and without gluing to oneself in the process) use thin superglue, but only if applied very sparingly with the tip of a toothpick. A method that sometimes works is to hold the edges to be joined tightly together, then use your third (or maybe fourth) hand to apply a small drop of thin superglue to the end of the seam, letting capillary action draw the glue up into the joint. This, at the very least, will tack the pieces together well enough free up your hands to continue the process for the full length of the seam. The main thing needed is patience, and work with minute amounts of glue on small portions of the joint, rather than trying to seal it all in one swell foop.
  5. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Barry...

I haven't found a glue for plastics, yet , either. I read somewhere, while looking for one, that the only way to weld plastic to plastic, was to melt it together, which I guess is what "plastic model cement" does. :shock:

If you find one, I sure want to know what it is!

In the mean time, I'll have to try Ted's green stuuf from Michaels's.

No wrong way...just what works :twisted:
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Cockpit saga

The continuing saga of cockpit making I finally got one stuck together you can make your own minds up about it. After much trial and error this is the final result. I used Rob's tube of 503 glue which is great for sticking flat paper on flat acetate that went well. I glued a thin gluing strip dowm the lower edge of each bit of the forward part of the canopy that stuck down pretty well using UHU.

Then we got to the back gunners section, to take the spring out of the plastic I poured boiling water on it in an old plastic pot picked it out with tweezers and rolled it round a big marker pen. I tried using Superglue to join up the ends total disaster except that it roughens the plastic enough to stick the joining card strips on.

I glued the paper cockpit glazing bars to the rolled piece of plastic tagged the ends together using card strips then glued the assembly to the fuselage.

OK now we come to the blister to house the machine gun no way, I am off to find a ball bearing the right size and a toaster I will let you know how it turns out. If not then it gets a flat disc with the gun poked through.

Thinks maybe I should make a vacuum box if I build more of these things.

I got so carried away playing with this I forgot to stick the last couple of bits in the cockpit.

7. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Barry

Very nice we will have to give you a new title "Barry the canopy king":lol:
    For only the second shot at making your own canopy mate, thats dam good, It realy is 8)

More when you can

8. Jim Krauzlis

Wow, Barry, that came out great! :D

I love the visual I get, you in the kitchen, crouched over a boiling cauldron, tweezers in hand, feverishly torturing the poor plastic until it bends to your will. :lol: Whatever it takes, mate! :D The results clearly are worth the effort, they really are.

I look forward to seeing the results of your quest for a ball bearing in making the blister!

All hail "Barry the Canopy King"!! :wink:

9. barry

barry Active Member

Last of the canopy saga

Well it turned out to be a large wooden bead and a lump of hard plasticine to hold it steady and a quick pull with hot plastic.

No way could I punch out the machine gun cooling jacket even with Jim's spy glasses I could not see it. Hat's off to Swinger !!!! I underestimated the length of the cockpit and put too short a piece of wire down the mg barrel to stop it bending while fitting it, which promptly slid into the cockpit as a permanent fixture and I was not going to take the bubble back off again.

Luckily there was enough card on the end of the cockpit so I was able to use the 503 glue and that worked. Apart from from some paint here and there you will be glad that's the end of it.

Jim and Rob you will pay for that title !!!!

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks great despite the ordeal. On my attempt the gunner's window Is a flat piece. On retro however, somewhere you can come across the bubble packaging from various products that have pretty close sized plastic bubble windows, I now have a collection of them just waiting to be used for stuff like this and astrodomes etc. Once again great build
  11. Jim Krauzlis

It sure came out superbly, oh great "Canopy King". :lol:

Great idea, Ted! :D
    Now I can't wait for Christmas morning to see all the plastic bubbles I can take and hoard away.... :lol:

An excellent model and an outstanding writeup with lots of lessons, mate!

12. barry

barry Active Member

Stuka bits and pieces

It needs bombs and a few last bits to be finished but it looks like a Stuka to me. Some touching up will help overall but a great design by Marek. I will finish it and show the last photo then.

I learned a lot from this one and had a lot of fun and it makes a nice change from ships.

Ted that was a good tip about the bubble canopies thanks !!

Sirens, spat fairings, tail wheel (looks better when it sits right), elevator struts and carb intake.

underside view still needs the bob weights on the flaps

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

:shock: WOW! :shock: :shock:

I think you did a better job on this one than the Corsair. And I thought that one was perfect!

Maybe I need to take up ship building so I can make better looking planes! :D

Really looking good Barry!
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Bombed up ready to go

Well like it says in the title Bombed up and ready to go

15. Jim Krauzlis

Excellent, Barry! :D
    All that effort sure paid off in the end; she is beauty!!

Only, trouble is, we're not going to let you get away with one photo.... :lol:

I am forced to ask "Please, Sir, may I have more???" :lol:

16. barry

barry Active Member

JIm's junkie shots

Hi Jim

I thought this one had been done to death but ....................

Unfortunately the wind blew it down the garden so it may be a bit out of line tough beasts these cardboard models.(always have an excuse)

Last couple of comments on this one it deserves more time spent on it than I gave it a little bit more detail in the cockpit area would lookk great. The spats are too narrow that's because I lost the two baseplates and forgot them it does not show too much. The most difficult area to get right is the leading edge of the fin section which also has the fuselage section integral with it. Swingers rubber would come in very handy here. I also think it's an ideal plane for a diorama.

Definately worth the time spent on it and the price is frankly ridiculously cheap.

to be right for the purists the undercart legs should be swapped round.

The only thing I did not like is the representation of the wing guns I'll do something about that later (not fitted in blisters)

More to show the tailplane than anything else

I think the next one will be an FW190 with straight wings for a change.

17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Great Job Barry! Thanks for the extra pics!

Looking forward to the 190 building thread!

18. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Yet another great build thread Barry. As always it turned out great. One question though....How do you put them together so fast and make them look so good? :shock: I spend ages trying to be patient with my planes and I still make a bunch of silly mistakes. Maybe I should also try ships for a change :lol:
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Barry! :D I knew it was worth more photos!!

She came out great, mate! A superb model to be justly proud of.
    I can't believe how quickly you put her together, seriously, you built her in record time, and so well too!

I think I know what you are saying about the gun blisters, but you can't tell anything is amiss from the model, even as to the spats, all looks fine.

The FW190 will be a nice build too; is that also a DeWayne supplied model? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for your next treat! :D

20. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Barry.....
    Ya, I saw ALL those mistakes that you made, right off! But, I just didn't want to mention it.

GREAT LOOKIN MODEL. I too am wondering how you do them so fast, while working on a boat!? :shock: :oops: :twisted: :roll: :?: :!: