Ju-52 info

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ashrunner, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have been asked by a local Hobby Shop owner to make three Ju-52 models in three different scales so he can set up a perspective view. He won't tell me what it will be yet, but him being an architect means maybe some buildings involved. Since the model he wants is the Lufthansa version, I am thinking airport. Anyway, he hasn't gotten back to me about the scale he wants, but I wanted to get ready by making minor changes on the Fiddler Green kit to make it look like three different aircraft. However in doing that, I noticed there is no WSAM scale on model. It would be difficult to change scale not knowing the scale of the model. So, if anyone has made this kit and printed it out on letter size cardstock, could you measure the wingspan and tell me what it is. Or if you know the scale of the model in PDF form, I would appreciate the information.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Ju-52's measurements are:

wingspan: 29.25m (95.96 ft.)
    length: 18.90m (62.91 ft.)
    height: 5.55m (18.04 ft.)

Just calculate one of the numbers from the fg model for it's scale.

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You better check yourself Ash. I looked on FG web-site and there is some confussion as to the scale. (either 1/48 or 1/50)

I built it when it came out but I gave the model away so I'm not able to give you a mesurement.:( I wasn't worried about the scale, I just wanted to build the sucker!

Post some pics when you finish, I for one would be interested! Also of what the finished project turns out to be.

4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I would give Chip and e-mail. I bet he could contact John and get the scale for you.
  5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

and lets open this mess

Isnt there a regular version and then a bigger version of all 6 versions?

Its a great purchase I highly recommend it to any modeler

John John
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Three Ju-52/3m Lufthansa airliners...

Hey Ashrunner,

Three different Lufthansa Ju-52s... that got me thinking:
    One option (which I´m sure you´ve already considered) is to give them three different German WW I fighter pilot´s names..?
    There was a fleet of no less than 231 Ju-52/3m´s serving Lufthansa during the 30s and many of them were given the names of the Aces of The Great War, 1914-1918.

The FG Lufthansa model, which I just started to cut into, is called "OTTO BERNERT". Others included in the fleet were "WERNER VOSS" (reg. nr D-3131), "HANS LOEB" (reg. nr D-ALYL), renamed "XI OLYMPIADE" in 1936 and fitted with the five coloured olympic rings in honour of the Berlin Olympics, or "EMIL SCHAEFER" (reg. nr D-AJYR). I noticed, though, that the capital letters on these planes were displayed significantly smaller than on the FG model (and placed just below the cockpit - similar to the present "Berlin-Tempelhof" plane mentioned below).
    There was also another Lufthansa Ju-52, called "IMMELMAN" (reg. nr D-2600), which was Hitler´s personal transport plane, until replaced by the Fw 200 V3, with the same name and registration.
    Thus, one relatively easy and elegant way of differentiating three Lufthansa Ju-52s could be to replace the names and reg. nrs on the FG model (using Photoshop or the like).
    Then there is of course also the impressive RED one, the Lufthansa "MANFRED VON RICHTHOVEN" Ju-52 (reg. nr D-2527 and later re-registered D-AGUK), available, by the way, as a fine card model from Aue-Schreiber-Bogen in 1:50th scale (with reg. nr D-2527).

By the way, check out these marvellous pictures (about 30 of them) of the Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung´s Ju-52/3m "BERLIN-TEMPELHOF", still in use today! These pics are recent (shot in 2005) and of a very high quality:
    http://airliners.net/search/photo.search (search for: Junkers Ju-52/3m)
    (source/credit: www.Airliners.net/)

Another good source for the Ju-52 is #117 of the printed booklet series "PROFILE Publications"
    (source/credit: Profile Publications Ltd., Coburg House, Sheet St., Windsor, Berkshire, England).
    My copy was printed in 1972, by the way.
    There are of course numerous other good sources on this common aircraft as well...

This is an interesting challenge, indeed! I´m sure you´ll come up with a good solution!
    Good luck with the design and the builds!
    (And, remember to tell us all how you solved it?..)

Bengt Fredén, Stockholm :grin:
  7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Bengt...thank you for the information about Lufthansa naming their aircraft after WW1 aces. I wasn't aware of that information and had just planned to change the registration numbers.

Today, I got more information from the shop owner as to what he wants. He is looking for three models. He wants one with an 8 inch (20.3 cm) wingspan, another 6.75 inch (17.1 cm) and finally, a third with a span of 3 inches (7.6 cm). He wants the models for a display he has wanted to do for a long time and that is of an airport in the mid '30s. However, he won't tell me why he selected Lufthansa as the airline to show.

He has said he would love to assist building the models, but has asked me to provide them. So I checked a few dimensions of the regular model. With a wingspan of 29.25 meters on the original aircraft, the model at 1:100 scale should have a span of 292.5 mm. After running a draft print of the model on letterhead bond, and measuring the areas I put together, I have come to the conclusion that that regular size model has a scale of approximately 1:78.6. So I reprinted the first two pages with a reduction of 78.6 percent and after measuring the wing and fuselage section together got a wingspan of 291.4. So I am confident in thinking the regular size model of the Ju-52 from Fiddler's Green is approximately 1:78 scale.

So based on the above information, the model with 8 inch wingspan is approximately 1:144 scale which corresponds to a print percentage of 54.6. The 6.5 inch span would be about 1:177 scale with a print percentage of 44.4 and the 3 inch wingspan version would be a minute 1:384 with a print percentage of 20.5. All of these print percentages are based on letterhead, 8.5x11 inch cardstock.

So, it's taken awhile, but I think I am going down the right road. Hopefully, someone here who knows differently will steer me in the right direction if I am off any. 8v)
  8. John Dell

John Dell New Member

The reference I used for "Otto Bernert" was the Schiffer Publishers Luftwaffe Profile Series No. 14 on the Ju 52. On page 8 there is a photo of
    a group of Ju 52's at Tempelhof. In the photo along with "Otto Bernert"
    (D-AHAL) are: "Rudolf Klein" (D-AHIH), "Wilhelm Siegert" (D-AMYY), "Otto von Maltzahn" (D-AMIT), "Hans Wende" (D-ADER), and "Bruno Rodschinka" (D-AVUL). All of these planes share a similar layout to the names and registration numbers as is shown on Otto Bernert". There are just some slight variations to font style. At the top of the page is a photo of "Oswald Boelcke" (D-AXOS), where his name appears in smaller type under the Lufthansa name on the nose. Other named Ju 52's mentioned in this book are: "Kurt Wintgens" (D-ALUN), "Edward Dostler" (D-ALAN) and "Fritz Pütter" (D-ANEN).

I drew the paint schemes for these models in a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. The different elements such as aluminum skin, insignia, corrugation effect and weathering, were done on several overlapping layers.

This sounds like an interesting project and I hope you will share photos with us.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Junkers Ju-52/3m paint schemes

Hi John Dell,

Today I received a copy of "Flugzeug Profile" nr 24 about the Ju-52. On page 8 (!) is the picture of the same group of Lufthansa Ju-52s at Tempelhof.
    As you pointed out, the letters on the sides of the planes are in the large scale, just like on the Fiddlers Green model. It also clearly shows, in the high camera angle, the broad black stripes on the wings near the fuselage (which are an integral part part of the black decorations surrounding the engines and the nose), stretching back from the wing´s engines. Between these broad stripes and the fuselage there is also an extra, much more narrow stripe.
    I stand corrected.

best regards,
    Bengt Fredén. :grin:
  10. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I thought I would update those interested in the progress of the Ju-52 diorama I was to help a friend with.

Not long after I showed him the print-outs of the models and we talked of what to do next, he informed me he changed the location of the diorama from what he originally wanted to do from Templehof Airport, to one he saw a photo of. He also decided he wanted to do everything in wood, including the aircraft, by carving them out of balsa. So, I gave him the print-outs and the other day, stopped by his place to see him and the progress. He has finished two fuselages, and the terminal building at the airport. He has also reduced the size in half from what I was originally asked to do.

Anyway, I am now out of the picture as I can't "whittle" worth squat 8v) But, if and when he does finish, I'll post some photos.

Anyway, I do want to thank everyone who provided me with information in this thread.