JSC's Shimakaze-The Hard way

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ted! :D

Well, even if the title suggest this build is being done the "hard way" :wink: it's well worth the effort, my friend...she looks fabulous! I hope there have been no lasting effects from that exposure to plant food and weed chemicals. :(

Excellent work on the details and overall the finish is spectacular. You've done this ship proud, sir!

I love the photo effects with the water reflection, great illusion and it shows off your model brilliantly.

Looking forward to more when you can.

Cheers!

Jim

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Well it's almost over but the shouting! Finally finished all the small fiddley bits, flag, rails ladder to mainmast and the stowed up gangways. The rigging is all that is left to do. I added the small spacers to the rear raddar array, the closeups don't seem to do the assembly justice, ahh the flaws the macro lens reveals! Hopefully the rigging can be done soon. More later...

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Home streeeeetch , rigging the ship. I'm using 1.5 lb. nylon fishing line. I saw a site from Japan where a guy uses about 4-5 differant media for rigging his ships. the usual thrreads, nylon ( he unravels panty hose) ? not quite sure why, various other media and very thin wire leader apparently thin but only available in Japanese fish shops. The one thing he mentions when using nylon line is to "prestretch" it. In otherwords take a lenght of it and stretch it out for a few seconds, Gently, this releases the coil tendency that fishing line seems to have. I think it has something to do with "memory". Anyways the rrear mast is rigged awaiting painting, and the front mainmast is 75% done. The 'tween wires from both masts and the fore and aft lines are left. Finally.......

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
That gives a lift to a miserable wet Saturday Ted the detail on this one is great.

The ladders look very professional which method did you use on them please.

barry

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Thanks Barry, the ladders are tom's modelworks 1/400 scale. I had a bunch left over from my JSC 1/400 days. The ladders seem to be right for 1/250 mast/rigging access ladders. The actual 1/200/250 scale ladders up in the mast areas are too big, these fit in rather well. i need another jittery free day to finish.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Ted

Cracker build mate, it realy looks the part.

Some outdoors all round shots when you have the final bits done would be fantastic.

Can't wait for your next creation

Rob

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
While working on the basement as per "the others" order #976 for the year, I unearthed a project that was just about done. This was JSC's Shimakaze originally printed in 1/400 scale but enlarged and detailed to 1/250. With all the H2O based models hitting the site I thought it would be about time to finish this little gem off. I'm in the process of rigging her and need to finish up the stb side and the fore and aft lines. Here's some pics of the progress up to this point...

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 105
C

cgutzmer

Have you ever built anything less than awesome? And if you say no, then I wont believe you....
Chris

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The Shimakaze also had 15 torpedo tubes in 3 turrets of 5 each. Here's the aft mast/tower with the radar antannae aft. I don't remember if this radar was for picking up aircraft...

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 96