JSC Queen Mary II (1:400 scale waterline hull)

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Just happened to come across this new model by JSC of the Queen Mary II:
http://www.jsc.pl/en/model.php?nr=077&lang=en&page=0

For those who love civilian ships, and the JSC line in particular, this looks to be a nice addition to the series! Take a look at the photos on the linked page, this is a truly impressive model with great details. Just click on the photos along the bar along the bottom to reveal a larger photo of the small thumbnail (but if you've visited this webpage as much as I have you already knew that! :lol: ).

Now if I can only convince myself to get this one I will build her on this forum...okay, the convincing part's easy, it's the getting the time to build her. :lol:

If anyone does get her and starts a build I would love to see photos of your build. :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Imagin cutting out and glazing all the windows and port holes, take a year and a day just to cut them out :lol:

Good thread thanks for the link.

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Rob, you have that right, Mate!

Just remember it's 1:400 scale, so that's a lot of REALLY small lights!

Actually, if suppose you could do it and just put a long continuous piece of glazing (plastic) along the inside...would just be a bear to cut out all those portholes and lights, and then to apply the glue and put the plastic strip in place without smearing the glue into the openings. Might be worth a try just to see how it comes out. You could probably also use Swinger's trick and use PVA in the hole, applied from the inside, and hope it dries even and clear.

I actually did that on a plastic tugboat I build for my Mother-in-Law (she loves tugs! :D ) and it came out okay, to be honest. You just have to be careful in applying the glue so no bubbles are in the glue, try and get the glue to stretch evenly over the hole and it should dry fairly well and clear. At 1:400 scale, the small holes probably would come out pretty good using this technique, since it's a small hole and the glue would be easier to apply than a larger hole where you need to "pull" the glue across the hole evenly for this to work.

But,...I digress.... :lol:

Jim

S

shrike

There's a product made specifically for this, used by modellers of small scale airliners. I don't recall the name of it, because having spent time around airliners I have no desire to model them (OK, maybe 1;33 scale where you could actually read the grafitti in the bag pits!)

It's a high surface tension acrylic that bridges the window opening. I have no idea how it might work with card vs plastic

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hello, Shrike!
If I recall correctly, it may be called "Crystal-Clear", or something like that. I've used it or a similar product in the past, and, although I really don't know the actually chemistry of the product, it seems to be essentially a thickened PVA much like Arlene's Tacky glue. I actually simply used Elmer's Glue All in the same way on the plastic tug it and it came out fine. I wonder if card would react differently as it sets since it can be porous, but maybe not too much to make a difference...something to experiment with! :lol:
Jim