Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Model: Gdansk
Publisher: JSC #241
Scale: 1:200
Format: Hardcopy
Distributor: Hobby Factory

Two parts pages, both A4 cardstock. Instructions poor, even with English text suppliment. Construction diagrams consist only of a side and top view showing parts locations. The instructions are of the level of "Cut out parts 1, 2, and 3, bend the tabs, and glue together." Great....I had figured out that all by myself, even without the English text. The parts are printed on good quality card stock. Level of detail poor for this scale....waterline model, very few deck details. Good color registration, no noticable artifacts or color voids. Draftmanship good. Artwork fair, but more cartoonish in style than photo-realistic. (No shading or weathering, 100 foot long by 2 ft wide deck planks, etc.). Construction is typical JSC build-a-box-and-glue-the-artwork-to-it; however, no internal support structure is provided in this model. For a hull about 10 inches in length, I strongly suspect building as-designed will be like modelling the Eifel tower with wet spagetti. At such time as I get the old round tuit for building this one, I will want to design an egg-crate for the hull structure. The model is currently available from most North American distributors; cost is typically less than $5 (any more than that would definitely be overpriced for this kit). I would not recommend this kit to someone who hasn't already built a couple of the JSC kits having better building instructions. My own frank opinion is that there are better models available free on the web. Overall grade C-.

Instructions: D+
Paper quality: B
Level of detail: C-
Printing quality: B
Artwork: C+
Value for money: C
Skill level: Intermediate