JSC Indianapolis in 1:400

Jim Krauzlis

Good ones, guys! :D

This is one you all probably know, but right down that same eye makeup section should be a selection of scissors...try the curved ones for cutting curved parts or discs...they work very well once you get the hang of how they cut, and they are very sharp!

I'm sure there are a few other tools to be found in that section, it just takes a bit of an imagination...but I have to admit I am stumped on the eyelash curling tool. :lol:

Your Indy is coming along brilliantly, by the way. :D

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Good ones, guys! :D

This is one you all probably know, but right down that same eye makeup section should be a selection of scissors...try the curved ones for cutting curved parts or discs...they work very well once you get the hang of how they cut, and they are very sharp!

I'm sure there are a few other tools to be found in that section, it just takes a bit of an imagination...but I have to admit I am stumped on the eyelash curling tool. :lol:

Your Indy is coming along brilliantly, by the way. :D

Cheers!

Jim

emayday

This photo reveals the most difficult process to date......getting the bridge mast supports lined up and fitted, but JSC has made the process as easy as possible. The areas for drilling have been pre-marked but the instructions call for these holes to be cut after the installation if the tower decks. If I were to do this again, I would have punched the holes prior to their intallation. I had to settle for a very carefull hand turning of pin vise and drill bit....turned out off by a hair on starboard side but it doesn't show.....got lucky.

I also painted the wire prior to installation but the fit was so tight that my choice was either to re-drill or remove the paint.....as you can see, I removed the paint. Now to hand paint...very carefully.......

click photo to enlarge

emayday

This photo reveals the most difficult process to date......getting the bridge mast supports lined up and fitted, but JSC has made the process as easy as possible. The areas for drilling have been pre-marked but the instructions call for these holes to be cut after the installation if the tower decks. If I were to do this again, I would have punched the holes prior to their intallation. I had to settle for a very carefull hand turning of pin vise and drill bit....turned out off by a hair on starboard side but it doesn't show.....got lucky.

I also painted the wire prior to installation but the fit was so tight that my choice was either to re-drill or remove the paint.....as you can see, I removed the paint. Now to hand paint...very carefully.......

click photo to enlarge

emayday

I have discovered a terrible error on my part. When I copied the parts on my Lexmark printer, the color registration went off to a lighter shade. You can see the original as printed on the left and the copy on right. Even in this less than great photo light, the difference is noticeable.. Due to the dummy's lack of paying attention, I assumed the colores to be the same. Now, the printer has a control for this, so the problem does not lie with the printer......but the printee.

Also found the if the printed surface gets wet....it will smear. Is it safe to use a sprayed clear coat?

I shall carry on, as this project is to far along, and to near and dear. But be warned.....do not do as I did!

Has anyone ever painted one of these in its entirety? LOL

emayday

I have discovered a terrible error on my part. When I copied the parts on my Lexmark printer, the color registration went off to a lighter shade. You can see the original as printed on the left and the copy on right. Even in this less than great photo light, the difference is noticeable.. Due to the dummy's lack of paying attention, I assumed the colores to be the same. Now, the printer has a control for this, so the problem does not lie with the printer......but the printee.

Also found the if the printed surface gets wet....it will smear. Is it safe to use a sprayed clear coat?

I shall carry on, as this project is to far along, and to near and dear. But be warned.....do not do as I did!

Has anyone ever painted one of these in its entirety? LOL

Ed,

It may be because your copy is trimmed at the bottom that it looks this way, but was scale affected as well?

Also, did you copy it or scan it? I'm finding a lot of trouble with color without calibrating a monitor

I had both of these problems with my Dreadnought enlargement, the best example are my 12-inch guns with are slightly by a percent or 2, too big. Thus, my port and starboard turrets won't turn.

As you (although your skill is better), I'm still learning those things that you need to look out for as you build.

Funny thing too, when I saw the previous pic of your superstructure, it looked very light but I decided not to say anything.

The drawback about being critical, especially at my skill level, is that it seems to detract my actual opinion that its a great build, which it is.

Cheers,
Brad

Ed,

It may be because your copy is trimmed at the bottom that it looks this way, but was scale affected as well?

Also, did you copy it or scan it? I'm finding a lot of trouble with color without calibrating a monitor

I had both of these problems with my Dreadnought enlargement, the best example are my 12-inch guns with are slightly by a percent or 2, too big. Thus, my port and starboard turrets won't turn.

As you (although your skill is better), I'm still learning those things that you need to look out for as you build.

Funny thing too, when I saw the previous pic of your superstructure, it looked very light but I decided not to say anything.

The drawback about being critical, especially at my skill level, is that it seems to detract my actual opinion that its a great build, which it is.

Cheers,
Brad

emayday

It's a direct copy, rather than a scan, Brad. Re-sizing is not my area of expertise at this time. The copy on right looks cut off because the original is a little over the standard 8.5x11 that my copier accepts. Like you say, it falls in the category of a learning expierience. I am disappointed but not enough to give up on this build. I shall see it to the bitter end and no doubt, learn much more as I go.

emayday

It's a direct copy, rather than a scan, Brad. Re-sizing is not my area of expertise at this time. The copy on right looks cut off because the original is a little over the standard 8.5x11 that my copier accepts. Like you say, it falls in the category of a learning expierience. I am disappointed but not enough to give up on this build. I shall see it to the bitter end and no doubt, learn much more as I go.

Gil

Ed,

I always seal the surface before assembly. For ships a coat of acrylic matte works well. Its much easier to wipe up glue spots and also helps to preserve the model from UV damage over time.

-Gil

Gil

Ed,

I always seal the surface before assembly. For ships a coat of acrylic matte works well. Its much easier to wipe up glue spots and also helps to preserve the model from UV damage over time.

-Gil

Gil said:
Ed,

-Gil

Gil,

Can you state any brand names. Sometimes when I'm looking for this kind of item, the generic label may not help me in regards to looking down a shlf full of items, which has has to be my worst skill (just ask me when I'm looking for just the right kind of tampon at midnight, no its not for me).

Cheers,
Brad

Gil said:
Ed,

-Gil

Gil,

Can you state any brand names. Sometimes when I'm looking for this kind of item, the generic label may not help me in regards to looking down a shlf full of items, which has has to be my worst skill (just ask me when I'm looking for just the right kind of tampon at midnight, no its not for me).

Cheers,
Brad

emayday

I've been proceeding step by step according the written instructions........that means starting tomorrow, I get to play with guns....the BIG ones. See y'all in a couple days!

Click on thumbnails to enlarge

emayday

I've been proceeding step by step according the written instructions........that means starting tomorrow, I get to play with guns....the BIG ones. See y'all in a couple days!

Click on thumbnails to enlarge