JSC Indianapolis in 1:400

emayday

As we move along, just a note on a couple of additional tools that I have found very useful. The mini straight edge I use almost exclusively now for medium and short cuts and great for scoring. The handle keeps pieces of fingers from coming off with the paper, the width allows additional and even pressure to be applied along the full length of cut. One side beveled, the other flat...can be used as an assist in folding.

The other dandy item is a toolmakers angle plate. Good for placing in tight corners and holding your exact 90 degree angle as the glue sets.

emayday

As we move along, just a note on a couple of additional tools that I have found very useful. The mini straight edge I use almost exclusively now for medium and short cuts and great for scoring. The handle keeps pieces of fingers from coming off with the paper, the width allows additional and even pressure to be applied along the full length of cut. One side beveled, the other flat...can be used as an assist in folding.

The other dandy item is a toolmakers angle plate. Good for placing in tight corners and holding your exact 90 degree angle as the glue sets.

emayday

Hi Brad,

I served on the Gearing class destroyer USS Damato DD-871 Dec, 1960 to Jan 63, and the Charles Adams class USS Sampson DDG-10 from 1/63 to 8/63.

There are no Gearing class DD's in paper as far as I know, but there is a Charles Adams class in the form of the German "Lutjens" in 1/250 scale by Wilhelmmshaven. This looks like a awsome build and is likely to be my next project but I wanted to ease into it after some additional experience. IMHO the Charles Adams class destroyer was one of the most beautiful tin cans afloat....really sleek looking. But like all great ships....they eventually turn to razor blades.

This is how the Damato looked when I served on her. In position 2 was a Mk 15 trainable "Hedgehog" projector in place of the standard twin 5" gun mount, and she was considered an ASW destroyer. At the time I was a young Sonarman.

emayday

Hi Brad,

I served on the Gearing class destroyer USS Damato DD-871 Dec, 1960 to Jan 63, and the Charles Adams class USS Sampson DDG-10 from 1/63 to 8/63.

There are no Gearing class DD's in paper as far as I know, but there is a Charles Adams class in the form of the German "Lutjens" in 1/250 scale by Wilhelmmshaven. This looks like a awsome build and is likely to be my next project but I wanted to ease into it after some additional experience. IMHO the Charles Adams class destroyer was one of the most beautiful tin cans afloat....really sleek looking. But like all great ships....they eventually turn to razor blades.

This is how the Damato looked when I served on her. In position 2 was a Mk 15 trainable "Hedgehog" projector in place of the standard twin 5" gun mount, and she was considered an ASW destroyer. At the time I was a young Sonarman.

emayday

Still working on the aft superstructure. Added the bi-fold doors to hangar bay, opened a passageway hatch and gradually working upwards. To this point, most of the cuts have been made with scissors...the remaining, with blade, to just the most hard to get at places.

emayday

Still working on the aft superstructure. Added the bi-fold doors to hangar bay, opened a passageway hatch and gradually working upwards. To this point, most of the cuts have been made with scissors...the remaining, with blade, to just the most hard to get at places.

emayday

Up to now there have been several discs to cut and I have been using a hole punch normally used for leather. I makes a clean cut in 6 sizes. I have found the punched disc to be much cleaner if it is backed up with a piece of scrap the same thickness as the original. Also have a Waldron punch left over from my plastic days....more precise but also more time consuming.

emayday

Up to now there have been several discs to cut and I have been using a hole punch normally used for leather. I makes a clean cut in 6 sizes. I have found the punched disc to be much cleaner if it is backed up with a piece of scrap the same thickness as the original. Also have a Waldron punch left over from my plastic days....more precise but also more time consuming.

emayday

I'm back..... Had a bout with a kidney stone (I won). Now I can continue with the business at hand. Some more progress with the superstructure......now beginning to see this project taking some form. A while back in this thread I mentioned experimenting with shades of gray for the inside railing parts. Well, I settled on dark gray.....maybe not necessarily historically accurate but because....... 1.-It provides more contrast and interest 2.-It hides imperfections well. 3.-When I served, all the grays seemed to blend together anyway. 4.-I like it! That's good enough for me and only my personal opinion.

I also raided my wife's tool kit for these tweezers. Notice the perfectly flat and angled ends. Many of you, I'm sure, have discovered and added these to your tool collection already. They are great for gluing up the little JSC boxes!

Click thumbnails to enlarge

emayday

I'm back..... Had a bout with a kidney stone (I won). Now I can continue with the business at hand. Some more progress with the superstructure......now beginning to see this project taking some form. A while back in this thread I mentioned experimenting with shades of gray for the inside railing parts. Well, I settled on dark gray.....maybe not necessarily historically accurate but because....... 1.-It provides more contrast and interest 2.-It hides imperfections well. 3.-When I served, all the grays seemed to blend together anyway. 4.-I like it! That's good enough for me and only my personal opinion.

I also raided my wife's tool kit for these tweezers. Notice the perfectly flat and angled ends. Many of you, I'm sure, have discovered and added these to your tool collection already. They are great for gluing up the little JSC boxes!

Click thumbnails to enlarge

Willja67

I only hope your quality control expert doesn't find a way to turn you project into nesting material :shock: :x

By the way, very nice build.

Willja67

I only hope your quality control expert doesn't find a way to turn you project into nesting material :shock: :x

By the way, very nice build.

Darwin

Re the tweezers....look in the eye makeup section of your favorite drugstore or supermarket...the other half uses them for painful tribal rituals involving snatching hairs out by the roots (ouch....but not nearly as ouch as a kidney stone). That style tip also comes in a scissors-looking style. Now if I could just find a reverse-acting pair (squeeze the handle to open the jaws)....

As a point of curiosity....has anyone found a cardmodeling application for eyelash curlers? There has got to be one.

Darwin

Re the tweezers....look in the eye makeup section of your favorite drugstore or supermarket...the other half uses them for painful tribal rituals involving snatching hairs out by the roots (ouch....but not nearly as ouch as a kidney stone). That style tip also comes in a scissors-looking style. Now if I could just find a reverse-acting pair (squeeze the handle to open the jaws)....

As a point of curiosity....has anyone found a cardmodeling application for eyelash curlers? There has got to be one.