JSC Indianapolis in 1:400

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Well here goes. Now that I have gotten my feet wet with the 1/700 DN Dreadnought, it is time to extend myself a little further. Since I am still at the lower end of the learning curve in paper, I wanted to attempt something in a larger scale, but at the same time, not so intimidating as to discourage further involvement in this great hobby.

For this purpose I’ve chosen the JSC 1/400 Indianapolis #10, a favorite subject of mine and also a subject that does not appear too overwhelming for my limited experience.

Please, please, feel free to add comments and help me with better and/or easier ways to get the job done.

And I’m not a computer geek either….just a basic understanding of how to survive, so the postings may leave a little to be desired at the outset, but as time goes by, should improve.

First, allow me a trial posting of this text with hopefully, an attached photo of my work area, just a 6 foot long folding table in one bedroom of a humble 2 bedroom condo (sharing space with my office and computer). Good thing the kids are grown and gone!

Let’s begin…………

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Well here goes. Now that I have gotten my feet wet with the 1/700 DN Dreadnought, it is time to extend myself a little further. Since I am still at the lower end of the learning curve in paper, I wanted to attempt something in a larger scale, but at the same time, not so intimidating as to discourage further involvement in this great hobby.

For this purpose I’ve chosen the JSC 1/400 Indianapolis #10, a favorite subject of mine and also a subject that does not appear too overwhelming for my limited experience.

Please, please, feel free to add comments and help me with better and/or easier ways to get the job done.

And I’m not a computer geek either….just a basic understanding of how to survive, so the postings may leave a little to be desired at the outset, but as time goes by, should improve.

First, allow me a trial posting of this text with hopefully, an attached photo of my work area, just a 6 foot long folding table in one bedroom of a humble 2 bedroom condo (sharing space with my office and computer). Good thing the kids are grown and gone!

Let’s begin…………

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
JSC Indianapolis 1:400

Reading thru some previous posts, it appears that this may be a larger challenge than anticipated, but nary shall I become discouraged as I know that I will have plenty of help……RIGHT?

The Indy hull comes in 2 sections…..fwd and aft. I started with the fwd section and cut the hull pattern. Even at the outset, there was doubt regarding the direction of the folds but since the gray bulkhead (next to the nbr 1 in photo) must show to the outside, the folds went downward. Thanks Jim!

click to photo to enlarge

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
JSC Indianapolis 1:400

Reading thru some previous posts, it appears that this may be a larger challenge than anticipated, but nary shall I become discouraged as I know that I will have plenty of help……RIGHT?

The Indy hull comes in 2 sections…..fwd and aft. I started with the fwd section and cut the hull pattern. Even at the outset, there was doubt regarding the direction of the folds but since the gray bulkhead (next to the nbr 1 in photo) must show to the outside, the folds went downward. Thanks Jim!

click to photo to enlarge

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
I then placed the upside down hull section in the magnetic gluing jig (from Micro-Mark tools) and commenced to glue in the formers using Aleene’s Tacky Glue. This glue seems to work for me and was applied with toothpics. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it….if things start warping down the road, I may change my attitude regarding glue….jury’s still out. I go thru a lot of toothpics, but they’re cheep. The magnets kept the lines perpendicular where needed and holds the hull in place for drying. The mini clothespins were used as clamps to hold the bow together and that seemed to work well also. I love the magnetic jig…….great for card modeling!

Click to enlarge

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
I then placed the upside down hull section in the magnetic gluing jig (from Micro-Mark tools) and commenced to glue in the formers using Aleene’s Tacky Glue. This glue seems to work for me and was applied with toothpics. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it….if things start warping down the road, I may change my attitude regarding glue….jury’s still out. I go thru a lot of toothpics, but they’re cheep. The magnets kept the lines perpendicular where needed and holds the hull in place for drying. The mini clothespins were used as clamps to hold the bow together and that seemed to work well also. I love the magnetic jig…….great for card modeling!

Click to enlarge

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday,

Who exactly told you that you were a beginner?

Sheesh, I cant imagine what that makes me...

Cheers,
Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday,

Who exactly told you that you were a beginner?

Sheesh, I cant imagine what that makes me...

Cheers,
Brad

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanks Brad, but trust me, there will be time to show the world my true beginner status.

I don't know why the thumbnail views are not showing up now.....they started ok, but the remaining symbols are still clickable to enlarge the photos........can anyone explain here?...........Ed

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanks Brad, but trust me, there will be time to show the world my true beginner status.

I don't know why the thumbnail views are not showing up now.....they started ok, but the remaining symbols are still clickable to enlarge the photos........can anyone explain here?...........Ed

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Ed,

Great subject too. Discovery channel just reran a documentary on the Indianapolis this past weekend, so this will be enjoyable to watch.

Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Ed,

Great subject too. Discovery channel just reran a documentary on the Indianapolis this past weekend, so this will be enjoyable to watch.

Brad

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ed! :D

I see the thumbnails, seems to be working fine!

Great pictures, really looking forward to seeing more as this build continues. I am intrigued by the use of the magnetic building jig! Seems to work great in holding things in place...might be something to consider to avoid the bane of my builds...corkscrewing of the long pieces. :roll:

Great start and superb topic for a build...I also saw the documentary on Discovery channel the other day, very tragic set of circumstances that fell upon this ship and her brave crew.

More photos as you go along, please. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ed! :D

I see the thumbnails, seems to be working fine!

Great pictures, really looking forward to seeing more as this build continues. I am intrigued by the use of the magnetic building jig! Seems to work great in holding things in place...might be something to consider to avoid the bane of my builds...corkscrewing of the long pieces. :roll:

Great start and superb topic for a build...I also saw the documentary on Discovery channel the other day, very tragic set of circumstances that fell upon this ship and her brave crew.

More photos as you go along, please. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
I missed the discovery channel special, but see that it will repeat this Sunday at noon........I'll be there.

The magnetic jig is something I had left over from my plastic modeling days. I works even better with paper since there is less resistance to the magnetic power thru the paper, thus a better grip.

Will have the aft hull section finished tonight with updated photo/s.

Hope you all enjoy this as well as I.....Ed

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
I missed the discovery channel special, but see that it will repeat this Sunday at noon........I'll be there.

The magnetic jig is something I had left over from my plastic modeling days. I works even better with paper since there is less resistance to the magnetic power thru the paper, thus a better grip.

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday said:

Cool, I can tape it!

Cant wait, Ed.

Brad

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday said:

Cool, I can tape it!

Cant wait, Ed.

Brad