JSC Friedrich der Grosse

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Dave Treby, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

I purchased this 1/250 kit on ebay on a bit of an impulse (Iknow, but you've all done it). I've followed the JSC 1/400 thread with interest. This is one of the 'Red ribbon' kits and looks a lot better than the only other JSC kit I've tried SMS Pather.
    However Friedrich is a big boy, 76 cm long, and at the slow pace I work allowing for diversions along the way, will probably take me a year. Has anyone experience of this kit? I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for before I start.
  2. michik

michik Member

there's a construction report with very precise information about the traps of this kit on Kartonbau.de:

The first parts are with an english translation, too, the rest is only in German language, but maybe a translator like babelfish will do the trick. If not, just ask, and I'll do my very best to help you.

3. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

Thanks for that, Michi. I'll study the thread in a bit more detail later, but the pictures of the hull construction help. I think I'd figured most of that out , but the kit instructions don't help a lot. What an odd way to make a hull.
  4. JHS

JHS Member

I have to say that only brave souls engage in close action with JSC 1:250! I have and have come away with hull and rigging shot full of holes!
  5. JHS

JHS Member

I wasted four years trying to rework their LION into something resembling the ship---was one of the worst modeling experiences I've ever had in 49 years of modeling. Finally tossed it 50% complete because I was fed up reworking virtually every part (it was loosely based on the deeply flawed Norman Ough LION plans, and on a very vivid imagination, as are all of the JSC WWI warship models---on a vivid imagination---except for the sound Austro-Hungarian series, oddly enough). I realized I could have scratchbuilt a 1:250 QUEEN MARY battlecruiser quicker using the superb plans in John Roberts' BATTLECRUISERS book. Now I stick to GPM and Halinski.