JSC 1:400 North Carolina Build

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Hey folks,

I wanted to start another thread for the JSC 1:400 North Carolina now that interest in it started in the Dreadnought thread. I'm not a pro modeler, so please excuse any "shoddy" work, heheheh.... And I appoligize beforehand for any slow progress that may result and poor photos as shown. :twisted:

Anyways, Here are a couple shots of the start. The first one is of the completed hull short of the skin and the second with with the skin applied.

Feel free to ask any questions or offer advice.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Jim asked about the poor fit of the superstructure around "B" turret. The first photo shows where I had to cut out a 1/8" or so around the back of the turret base to allow it to fit. Other than this and a small gap at the stern of the ship of the skin, so far so good for the first layer of the superstructure.

-Ski

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
All right! The NC. Now this is a model I've wondered about. Looks like you're off to a very good start Ski.

I'll follow your build with much interest.

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the next update.

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Thanks! :)

I worked on the superstructure tonight. Again, no major issues. One thing I did forget was that the ribs for the 1st level superstructure were way too long, so I had to trim them down to fit. Nothing catastrophic....

-Ski

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Really great progress, Ski!:)

The substandard graphics on this early edition kit don't take away from your superb build of this model...actually, I like the way the teak decks look on your build. The blue hull color has always given me pause when I've seen it, but overall it has a very nice look to it, I think.

As always, looking forward to the next update!

Cheers!
Jim

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
It's all about fit and finish. The 1st edition kits just can't match the 2nd edition ones for fitting. I'm happy with how they look though. You just need to do a good edging job to cover up some of the gaps. In person, the blue on the NC is a bit on the bright side for my taste. It shouldn't be as obvious once its finished.

-Ski

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Great job Ski. Yep, those JSC models do have their "personalities". The same issues seem to go from model to model.

Looks very good to this point. Keep us updated.

Thanks!

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
I worked on building up the superstructure some more tonight. I also find that if you take a sharpie and fill in the "holes" for the portals, it makes the model look much better. Why they aren't done already, I don't know. You can see it the photo. No major fitting issues, thankfully. ;)

-Ski

Chief400

Dec 4, 2006
I got this one in my stack! I'm thinking a good scanning and a recoloring will get rid o dat pesky blue......

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
It's called Cammo Measure 21. Navy Blue System.

Many USN BB's were painted with Ms. 21 during 1942-43. It's actually a darker blue than what is printed on that model.

See this chart

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/usn_bb.htm

Then see this description of Ms. 21

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_21.htm

I like what you've done with the portals. The hollow circles lack any depth. At least the black gives you some perception of depth.

Keep up the great work!

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Worked on more of the superstructure tonight. I really like "walling" it all in. It sure makes the model look like it should. The Main tower was a bit tough since it had assumed bends, if you know what I mean. Not bad on the fitting so far.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Worked on more of the superstructure tonight. I really like "walling" it all in. It sure makes the model look like it should. The Main tower was a bit tough since it had assumed bends, if you know what I mean. Not bad on the fitting so far.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Completed the funnels today. The paint is still drying in the photo. I'm not happy with them, but oh well. The directors are also done. Edging still needs to be done on the new parts. I also knocked out the rafts. It's coming down to the fun part of doing the turrets and the monotonous AA guns.....

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Completed the funnels today. The paint is still drying in the photo. I'm not happy with them, but oh well. The directors are also done. Edging still needs to be done on the new parts. I also knocked out the rafts. It's coming down to the fun part of doing the turrets and the monotonous AA guns.....

-Ski

airbob

Team,
Ive been enjoying this string....your doing great....there is no card model build that is not fun...and each and every one is a learing experience....it is a no lose situation...the more problems you find...the more experience you gain...the finished product is like a mother viewing her newborn.....a lot of work..and sometimes pain...but behold..a thing of beauty!!! Keep up the good work!:yep: