JSC 1:400 HMS Dreadnought

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Whew! I finally finished the JSC 1:400 Dreadnought tonight. This model was just about the most complex on that I've done, primarily because of the confusing nature of the diagrams and my penchant for not reading the written instructions. I'm not used to having English language instructions, and that needs to change!

The kit was pretty good, although it had a couple very little fitting issues, primarily with the walkway structure around the forward funnel. I had to clip it down and relocate the searchlights as they were right in the way of the mast.

Once again, I kept with a very basic rig. Does anybody know where the signaling halyards are supposed to terminate?? :???:

Anyways, it was a nice challange. That's part of the fun, trying to figure things out. Thank god for strip styrene!

Card models are nothing more than 3D jigsaw puzzles......

-Ski

Attachments

• CIMG2460.jpg
    CIMG2460.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 250
  • CIMG2460.jpg
    CIMG2460.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 250
  • CIMG2467.jpg
    CIMG2467.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 181
  • CIMG2467.jpg
    CIMG2467.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 177
  • CIMG2469.jpg
    CIMG2469.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 147
  • CIMG2469.jpg
    CIMG2469.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 148
  • CIMG2472.jpg
    CIMG2472.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 151
  • CIMG2472.jpg
    CIMG2472.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 151
  • CIMG2448.jpg
    CIMG2448.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 158
  • CIMG2448.jpg
    CIMG2448.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 157

scharnhorststeel

Jan 19, 2005
Grand Fleet!

Teamski said:
...the confusing nature of the diagrams and my penchant for not reading the written instructions...

Nice handiwork!

I'm totally with you on the confusing nature of the diagrams. I also tend to ignore written instructions which usually leads to disassembly (not just on models but at work too :rofl: )

Golden Bear said:
...when all I do is drink bourbon and build models...
Sounds like my kind of retirement plan. ;)

Clashster

Dec 1, 2006
The Conch Republic
Beautiful, Ski! Great job on those tiny boats, too! (they seem to be a major weakness in my building ability) Have enjoyed all your ships! Keep up the excellent work!!

Chris

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Excellent work Ski. What you're saying is nothing that I haven't experienced first hand with JSC models or heard others say. They're not for the timid.

Great work though, and very clean.

Like Golden Bear, I have this one in my stash as well. Although, I think I'll build mine sooner than retirement. 8)

This model begs for an "upscale". I've seen it done upscale (1/250) and it seems to come out well.

Nice Job!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Spectacular job, ski! Really a very impressive build...do mount it on something worthy of this brilliant build.

A very clean, smart looking build...I look forward to seeing you tackle the North Carolina next.

Cheers!
Jim

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Teamski said:
Whew! I finally finished the JSC 1:400 Dreadnought tonight. This model was just about the most complex on that I've done, primarily because of the confusing nature of the diagrams and my penchant for not reading the written instructions. I'm not used to having English language instructions, and that needs to change!

The kit was pretty good, although it had a couple very little fitting issues, primarily with the walkway structure around the forward funnel. I had to clip it down and relocate the searchlights as they were right in the way of the mast.

Once again, I kept with a very basic rig. Does anybody know where the signaling halyards are supposed to terminate?? :???:

Anyways, it was a nice challange. That's part of the fun, trying to figure things out. Thank god for strip styrene!

Card models are nothing more than 3D jigsaw puzzles......

-Ski

Very NICE build - you might find answers to your rigging question here

The Dreadnought Project
http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/

Cheers

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Excellent! This one I actually have, and will be curious to see if it builds OK.
Please post about any difficulties you encounter.

Teamski said:
Thanks everybody! Now to start on the North Carolina! Can't stop, you know!

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
rlwhitt said:
Excellent! This one I actually have, and will be curious to see if it builds OK.
Please post about any difficulties you encounter.

I feel impending doom on this one, hehehehe.... You know something I don't? ;)

-Ski

mellotronage

Mar 9, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
You're a better modeler than I- that kit broke me down before I could finish it. I've not done a JSC subject since.
BUT!.... I've just ordered their Edmund Fitzgerald kit...... Time to get back on the horse.
Terrific job on the Dreadnaught, my friend- nice pics too!! Keep it up, man.

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Oh no, I know nothing about it - that's why I'm curious about your build. Since it not one of those more recent "red banner" ones, I'm wondering if it will be a well-fitting kit?

Teamski said:
I feel impending doom on this one, hehehehe.... You know something I don't? ;)

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
rlwhitt said:
Oh no, I know nothing about it - that's why I'm curious about your build. Since it not one of those more recent "red banner" ones, I'm wondering if it will be a well-fitting kit?

I finished the hull and I'm now working on the superstructure. There was a fit issue with "B" turret's base. I had to cut away a bit of the forward superstructure for it to fit. Other than that, no big issues so far.

-Ski

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hey, Ski, NC is looking very good!

I haven't tried this one yet, so how bad was the B turrent fit? I suppose when you post a photo of the area in question it'll be clear, but I was just curious how extensive you had to trim the superstructure.

Cheers!
Jim

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Ski, the JSC kits are kinda like popcorn....once you start, you can't do just one. I've found once you manage to get past their cockamamie frameworks (which I do by totally redesigning to eggcrate structure), it's not too very hard to figure out the rest....but do a lot of dryfitting first.