jrts armour comp. cat.2: Light Tank M5A1 Stuart VI

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by murban, Jul 5, 2005.

1. murban

murban Member

Hello friends,

please let me invite you to join the build of my first tank. It is the US light tank M5A1 "Stuart VI". Scale is 1:25.

This model is a free download, available at http://www.konradus.com/szufladki/agand/index.html

I make no guarantee that I can finish that model - the instructions are polish only and the model seems to be fairly complicated - it has 9 pages of parts.

This model - if it looks at least moderately good when finished - is intended to be entered into jrts' armour competition, "as designed" category.

Now, here is the first image - the skeleton of the tank. It is the second re-incarnation. After finishing the hull plating I had to get rid of the first version - the cardboard used for the skeleton was slightly too thick and so the plates didn't fit well.

Wish me luck with this try.

best regards,
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Michael

Nice start mate, glad to see the first one in the competition up and running :D

Good luck with the build and the competition

3. murban

murban Member

Thanks Rob. This is my first vehicle (armored or not), so when I can finish it, I have already won...

Now hull plating begins. With the new framework, the parts seem to fit.

Here's the underside.
  4. murban

murban Member

And some parts at the top.

As you can see, I have painted all the corners of the skeleton where hull plates will meet. Hopefully this will prevent white flashes should some parts not fit too well.

best regards,
  5. murban

murban Member

Hello friends,

top plating finished. Now I need to attach a bunch of fiddly bits and then it's on to the track covers.

6. jcrespo

jcrespo Member

Hello Michael,

You picked a fine model for your first tank. I have been planning to build this particular one myself, but I've still got my hands full with the Bavarian S3/6 locomotive.

Your work looks great. Can't wait to see future pictures.

7. barry

barry Active Member

Mike the all round builder ......... looks great

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent start, Michael! :D

This will be an entry to watch, everyone...and some very fine work right out of the box!

Looking forward to more when you can, Michael. :wink:

9. murban

murban Member

Hello friends,

thanks for your encouraging words - this is clearly different from a ship and I am learning all the way...

Some progress has been made with the detailing - a bunch of small wire pieces was fitted - still not painted.
  10. murban

murban Member

Also, a little work at the stern ( ;) ) - fitted a cooling (?) grid and the trailer coupling.

That's all for now

11. murban

murban Member

A little note for the fellows how want to build this kit:

I have found that parts 12a-d and 12i are about 3mm too short (I think... but since there are no instructions for this part, I may be wrong - but it works, when these parts are made a little longer).

So, before building this, you may want to lengthen those parts a little. I have a Photoshop file of the change, if anybody needs it.

Also, the outer parts 12e are larger than the inner parts 12f - I think 12f should be glued to the back of 12f in such a way, that the edge with the mounting slot is flush on both parts and the rest of 12f should be centered within 12e - that way you can mount 12a-d on the "step" that occurs.

I know - if you don't have the kit, these descriptions don't make sense, but it might help future builders... I hope...

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Michael,

Its really starting to look good, keep the photos coming!

have a nice day,

Greg aka GW
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

The hull is looking good. What did you use for the air inlet grille on the back of the hull?

14. murban

murban Member

the grilles are made from leftover pieces of a mosquito net. Originally they are supposed to be painted green, but I think I leave them black - the contrast to the green hull looks nice to me.

15. murban

murban Member

Hello friends,

today I only managed to add one part ;) It's a box at the rear of the tank.

Here is a closeup.
  16. murban

murban Member

and here an overview image. Still needs a little retouching work.

best regards,
  17. bholderman

bholderman Member

Great job for "only one part"

18. barry

barry Active Member

Looks like you suddenly went all Polish on us

pozdrawiam(probably spelt it wrong)

19. murban

murban Member

Czesc Barry, ;)

look this way...

But this kit is really beautyful. I build it for the category 2, but it really invites you to modify it. I am tempted to build it again - with interior, moving hatches etc... but at my speed that would take more time than I have now...

20. Bob Ebophalus

Bob Ebophalus Member

All I can say is... I'm glad I'm not competing in your class.*

*I'm not actually competing yet, but thinking pretty hard about it.