JPG Scales

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by lrjanzen, Jul 26, 2006.

1. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

If you have a model that is in JPG format how do you kow how big to print the image? Does it even matter? I could print the Bismark on 5x5 cards:wink: but i do not think I would want to build it! My printer will print up to 13x19 (Epson 2200) so I can be pretty flexable.

2. 46rob

46rob Member

Unless you want a particular scale--the important thing is consistency. Ensure all prints are made at the same reduction or increase. Rather than using the printer software to do your sizing--consider using a graphics program, like GIMP (freeware) to accurately resize your files. The only other things to consider are your skill at cutting and forming tiny parts and the availablility of paper of the right thickness for your printing.
  3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

First off you need a program like paint shop pro that lets you set a definitive percent to print the jpg. As in you print is 100%, or 50%, or 400%, whatever
    having a program that uniformly prints "to fit the paper" will kill you. many times jpg models that have multiple sheets the jpg files are not the same dimensions, so the "fit to paper" will result in parts from one sheet not fitting parts from another.

I'm a stickler for scale so I first compute the scale of the jpg sheets at 100%.

for example say I know the deck of the bismark is say 14meters (1400cm) at its widest.
    Now I print the sheet at 100% that has the deck and its 6cm. well now I know that if I print the model at 100% my model will be 6/1400 or 1:233 scale. if I want the model smaller thats easy, say I want 1:500 scale, well then I want 1400cm to become 1400/500 = 2.8cm. well at 100% I get 6cm,
    so to reduce 6cm to 2.8cm, 6*X=2.8 , X=2.8/6 X=.47 so I should print the sheets at 47% for a 1:500 model.

To enlarge the math is the same, but you run into the problem of the parts fitting onto the sheets of paper. What I do then is enlarge the jpg by the percent that is necessary, and then cut and paste the parts onto a sheet that when I print at 100% takes up the whole sheet of paper. Each of the parts are at the enlarged scale, and the new sheet is scaled to print at 100%, so its just a matter of getting all those larger parts to lay out on the sheet.
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Printing the Bismark on 5x5 cards!!! YES...DO IT...tiny is GOOD...
  5. Kaz

Kaz Member this is a tiny programme (thewoodengraver might like this!) that will resize to a percentage, and its free as well. No need to spend money if you dont really need to.
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

yes that is a good program. I've had PSP 6.0 for years so I use that, but I've seen irfanview as well. it has some nice features.
  7. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

designers are encuoraged to include a scale key with each printed parts page. this will show a given measurement (one inch, one cm, or both) for the intended scale. this gives others a proper place to start in re-sizing. % page printing can be done with MSpaint and XP. free and already on most computers. the 95,98,and 00 windows MSpaint are different from the XP. you can view on all but not save changes. if you don't have a scale key or intended scale, find the page with the most parts, percentage shrink it untill all parts fit well to the page size you want, and then print the other pages at the same percentage. print preview is a big help.
  8. SteveM

SteveM Member

Once nice thing about JPG's is that they include a header that defines a dpi value for the image. That is, dots per inch. Most graphics programs will use this value to tell the printer the size to print the image. Not all designers will "fill-in" this value, but I think most do, now. I could now go on and on about whether it is better to resize by adjusting the dpi number or by actually resizing the pixel count of the image, but basically the answer to your question is this dpi field in the image.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

There are limits to resizing jpgs - you know when you've reached the limits because artifacts start appearing in the image. Usually blurry lines parallel to solid edges. This is caused because .jpg is a lossy compression format - you lose information in the compression. If you are going in for resizing picking a format which isn't lossy is a good idea. My favourite is .tiff.

10. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

tiff is my favorite format too. no artifacts but a large file size. maybe a little too easy alter and i don't really like to compress. very handy for printing on silver paper.....
  11. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

SInce My other hobby is photography, I have Photoshop CS2 and a couple of very nice scanners, so software that will process JPEGs is not a problem. In fact I was reading one of te other threads about some guy building some battleship that had 3 different deck colors! He even had photos. In PS you could select the color that you liked and apply it as a hue shift to the other parts of the deck. At least they would be consistent.

As for my original question I take the answer to be as long as I am CONSISTENT with my printing scale I should be fine. BTW thanks for the input.

Since this is my very first card model. I may sit down and write out my experience for others.:)
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

13. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

thewoodengraver DOES like it! Irfanview is fantastic!!! Thank you for thinking of me!!!:grin: