joining tubes

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by mvink, Oct 1, 2007.

1. mvink

mvink Member

I want to join two tubes or pipes in a 90 degree angle. Is there any template to get the tube ends right without having to use some unfolding software. I am still working in 2-d.
  2. SteveM

SteveM Member

The unrolled shape will be one cycle of a cosine wave where the amplitude is equal to the radius of the tube.

y = R * cos (x/R)
  3. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Development of flat patterns

PM me and I'll send you a pattern development tutorial using traditional drafting techniques (these procedures can be used with any 2D cad program also), or paper/pencil/T-Square & triangles.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  4. spirtos

spirtos Member

you can download Tubemiter from here : OzHPV - Giles Puckett's TUBEMITER>EXE

I have tried it when I was scratchbuilding a motorcycle paper frame and it works. :)

Ron Caudillo I'm sending you a PM because I'm interested in this tutorial.
  5. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

6. mvink

mvink Member

Thanks everyone for all your help. When I finish the project I am working on, I think you will like what I will be giving out to the community. It's both Sci-Fi and Real Space related.

7. spirtos

spirtos Member

8. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Great link, thanks Spirtos! Be sure to check out his home page for the large scale tanks. Not paper but pretty cool none the less. Also lots of useful stuff for the tinkerer.