joining HO code 83 Walthers Shinohara track

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Greetings, all. I am new here, and am just starting a new HO layout -- the resurrection of a long-closeted hobby, now that I have kids. So, a question for the experienced layout builders:

I finally got all my lovely HO code 83 Ni-Ag track from Walthers - their Shinohara stuff. Really beautifully made. I've got loads of turnouts and flex track and am ready to get to work putting it all together according to my plan.

But here's a catch: the track ties are very nice, but continue nearly to the end of the rail, leaving no room for a joiner. I know how Atlas handled this - they made a funny-looking tie on the end, and it does not contact the rail, leaving room for the joiner. but that would be unsightly.

What do I do with this Shinohara track?

I have a couple of ideas:

1. Cut the joiners in half, making them short. Problem is that this is hard to do without crushing the joiner.

2. Cut off the last tie and save it. Put all the track together. Cut each tie to fit under the joiners. This should work, but is definitely labor-intensive. Of course, this hobby IS labor intensive.

So, should I go with option 2?

Or does anyone have other more clever ways of tackling this problem?

Did I mention that this track is beautiful? Wow.

- John

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
John,

Welcome to The Gauge!

Option 2 is what most people do. If you want to cut the joiners without crushing them - use a Dremel, but PROTECT YOUR EYES!

You will probably find that you need to cut one or more ties off anyway when curving the track and so on.

I have several of the Walthers-Shinohara turnouts and they are really nice to look at ;)

Andrew

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Another option, recently suggested to me:

Don't cut off the entire last tie, just the plastic "spikes" that attach the rail to the tie. Trim the top of the tie to accommodate the joiner, but leave the connection to the rest of the ties.

I sorta like that idea. Has anyone done this?

- John