Joining Edges On Cylinders

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Mike G., Nov 6, 2006.

1. Mike G.

Mike G. New Member

Well, I've been a member of this group for what feels like 3 minutes but I already need some advice. When rolling a part into a tube, cylinder or circle, such as a fuselage or engine cowl, many models provide a tab to make the joint between the two halves. Below is one example.

Directions suggest bending the tab but I find when the tab is bent, the joint tends to "peak" a little throwing the piece out of true round. If you don't bend the tab, the peak tends to be less pronounced but the "round" is not perfect. I have tried cutting off the tab and joing the ends by butting them together and gluing a narrow strip lengthwise underneath. This has worked nicely on some parts, not so nicely on others. Of course there is the technique of just butting and gluing the edges but on a cylinder that has a tendency to unroll, the tensile strength of the glue doesn't seem to be enough to keep the edges together.

So, basically, what I'm asking for are suggestions in technique to keep the cylinder or tube round. Attaching a cowl to the front of a fuselage that is not perfectly round is a pain. Am I analyzing this too much or is there a better way to do this? Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

One basic, easy way is to cut off the tab that they give you here, and make a new one with 2 sides (mirror image). Glue half under the painted part where you just cut it off, then once you make your cylinder, glue the other half under the meeting side.

Some here (see: even advocate not using a joiner at all. But with the exception maybe of the rather highly talented Golden Bear, that might be easier for smaller cylinders ;)
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Mike, I used the technique Golden Bear suggested rather successfully.
    I can add a couple of tips: when the fuselage is joined with the underneath stripe, keep it together with those little things you use to close trash bags (I don't know its name). They have a wire inside, and they don't hurt your model. Put some around the fuselage.
  4. SteveM

SteveM Member

I have never seen such a direction to fold the tabe for a cylinder like that. Are you sure that particular example was supposed to be cylindrical? Or maybe "Bend" on the part did not mean "fold" but to bend the whole piece as one into the cylindrical shape?
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I agree with Steve (actually, it looks to me like a Fiddler's Green FW190 fuselage)... I think the idea is to use the tab as an interior gluing surface for the opposite side under the fuselage. I tend to follow rlwhitt's method of removing the tab and using it as a interior gluing surface, basically doing the same thing, but it ends up inside the model, so the two opposite ends meet flush.

milenio's tool, I believe, is referred to by some a "twist-tie."

Hope some of this makes some sense....