Join strips

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by silverw, Jan 12, 2006.

1. silverw

silverw Member

If you have a paper shredder, and need joining strips.... save your "mis printed" sheets, and run them throught the shredder! Instant "FREE" strips, by the pound!!!

..... Bill
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Dang, that is so simple that it is brilliant. You must have Scots blood in you... ;-)
  3. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

BRILLIANT!!! My wife has a metric ton of that stuff in bags waiting to be recycled.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

And to think that I was cutting strips out of scrap while a paper shredder was in the next room.:cry:
  5. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Now if only there was a shredder out there that cut 'zig-zag' shaped strips... for joining curved wing trailing edges, rudders, etc...
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And when I went shopping for the shredder, I bought the cross-cut...:cry:
  7. keith

keith Member

They wont let me use the metal ones.
  9. Kaz

Kaz Member

crinkle cut?

has anyone tried pinking shears? I'm guessing they come in one size only..
  10. rickstef

rickstef Guest

You can still use the small pieces, good for smaller join strips or use it for filler, or weight

you could even use them as shims in the building the framework of wings, fuselages, and the like.

11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I bought the pinking shears and the zig-zag might be fine for fabric, but was a little too little for my scale of models:cry:

1/48 or smaller may get by with them.

12. keith

keith Member

13. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Metal pinking shears are really expensive to get sharpened.

My mom never let me use fabric shears on paper and I've followed the tradition.

If I needed to cut zigzags on paper I'd buy a seperates pair. The cheapy kids pinking shears are probably cheaper than sharpening a metal pair.

I believe that you can buy zigzag rotary cutter blades. They'd probably handle curves better than shears.