John Deere RR Ideas....

YellowHawk

Dec 27, 2004
Greene County, MS
I need some ideas for my John Deere set. I intend to buy some more track, but how about ideas for buildings etc? I guess I need to have some kind of purpose for my train...

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The purpose of one's train generally has to do with the products being hauled. In the case of boxcars this could be almost anything, whereas covered hoppers could be grain or plastic pellets, open hoppers minerals of various sorts, reefers perishable food, gondolas scrap or raw materials--what does the Deere set include?

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Hmm... this is where the fun part comes in. Use your imagination.

Being a John Deere train, the first thing I can think of is a farm equipment supply company. *coughTRACTORScough* It could supply seed and such, utilizing the boxcars. Just a thought. I've always thought about putting one on my layout. It's an excuse to have a train full of odd-looking machinery and tractors.

:D

YellowHawk

Dec 27, 2004
Greene County, MS
The set includes the following:

1 F7A Locomotive w/ dual flywheels, operating headlights, 5 pole skewed armature motor.
1 40' Grain Box Car
1 Single Dome Tank Car
1 40' Flat car with load (2 die cast John Deere "Model B" Tractors
1 Bay Window Caboose

It came with an oval of Power-Loc HO track. It did not come with any building, trees, etc....I'll have to order more track when I come up with a good layout. I was just trying to figure out some sort of theme for the setup so I would know what to order as far as buildings, trees, and other extra pieces go. Thanks for the ideas and keep 'em coming.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Well, if you have a grain boxcar and an F7A, I assume the setting of the layout would be perhaps 1970's or before. I imagine that like any model railroader you'll gather more rolling stock before long.

But with what you have, you'd have the sort of short local to service a small farming town: one with, say, a grain silo (to fill the boxcar with grain), a fuel dealer (which could be represented with a shack, a couple of hoses and a small storage tank or two, or even just a tanker truck sitting by the team track to be filled directly from the tank car), and perhaps a farm-supplies/tractor dealership. These businesses could be reached via a couple of spurs on one side of a small layout, with perhaps a runaround track to allow facing-point switching.

Most such towns would typically have what is called a "team track", usually just a small elevated platform with a ramp to allow railroad cars to be loaded. Just about anything could go in or out on the team track: those tractors, for example. Obviously it would be tough to load bulk grain there but that's what the silo is for.

The other "side" of the layout (whether it's the far side of a loop plan or the other end of a shelf layout) could be a larger town with a mill and other industries, or you could just represent incoming traffic via an "interchange" (where one railroad meets another, and cars are shuffled back and forth for long-distance customers.) New cars could be brought in via the interchange, or sent "off" the layout in the other direction.

A farming town themed layout implies someplace where farming is done: the Midwest, California's central valley, etcetera. Pick the sort of place you prefer and check out some photos to get ideas for scenery. Rolling hills or flat plains would be a good fit and not too hard to model.

YellowHawk

Dec 27, 2004
Greene County, MS
Jetrock, those are some great ideas you have. I am taking note of all of these ideas and I will be on the lookout for some of these pieces to go with my layout. Do you have any idea where I might find some pictures of RR others have set up in a similar manner? I guess that's what I need....some pictures of other similar railroads to get ideas from.
Model railroading sounds like a lot of fun, but when you are starting out, there are so many decisions to be made and so much to learn before you can start laying anything out. I'm anxious to get started, but I have to get thiings figured out first. Thanks for fielding all these questions I have! I hope I don't get annoying.

up_santafe

Dec 15, 2004
Wisconsin Northwoods
Yellowhawk,
I am also using the John Deere sets on my layout. I started with the 1998 set and added the 2003 set with additional freight cars.

I am modeling an imaginary town in the west (Deere Valley) that has a large John Deere dealership and is building a John Deere Parts distribution warehouse. The spurs go to the dealership where there is a flatcar loading ramp for tractors and equipment and to the warehouse under construction. There are also other sidings for engine service, coal, fuel, water, etc.

Deere Valley is also served by the Union Pacific, Santa Fe and Western Pacific through trackage rights & leases obtained thru the "Deere Valley & Western Railroad".

The era is summer 1960 (the 4020's just came out) so there is a variety of John Deere equipment at the dealer. Also have other Freight and Passenger stations on the UP and ATSF mainlines, so there is a lot of action.

My JD equipment is an F7 ABB and F7A with numerous JD freight cars and flats from other roads with JD equipment loads.

Of course the UP & ATSF drop boxcars, flats, coal and tank cars as necessary.

Lots of action on a 4x8. However, the layout is reaching its tear down and rebuild date (going to be 5x12) so I'm sure the dealership and warehouse facility will grow considerably.

Attachments

• 100_0353a.jpg
    100_0353a.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 166

up_santafe

Dec 15, 2004
Wisconsin Northwoods
Deere Valley & Western Railroad

Yellowhawk,

Here are a couple more pictures and ideas.

Ray:wave:

Attachments

• 100_0112a.jpg
    100_0112a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_0353b.jpg
    100_0353b.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_0599a.jpg
    100_0599a.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_0600a.jpg
    100_0600a.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 150

sammyd

Feb 14, 2004
WI
trains.script-host.com
That John Deere set started me down the model railroding path last year.
Been a wonderful trip so far.
I set mine up as a sleepy midwest farmtown early 60s.
Since my 5 year old is a tractor nut we did a couple of farms as well.
The powerlock track is a bit tall and hard to ballast. 3/8 inch foam insulation will bring the ground level up to the top of the plastic part of the track so I used that in town and left it off in the county areas.
I used Hob e Tack to hold the ballast on the slope of the plastic track and then used the scenic cement to keep it all in place.
I found the steel rails required constant cleaning so get a track cleaning car or something. Or Use a good type of Nickel Silver track instead.

20.jpg

13.jpg

3.jpg

YellowHawk

Dec 27, 2004
Greene County, MS
Wow, I've been gone on vacation for about a week and look what I've missed! Thanks for all the replies and ideas and especially the photos. The photos really give me ideas that I can get started with. Those are some great looking setups.
I did buy the Athearn John Deere Tractor Series #1 while I was on vacation. It came with the 1/87th scale Waterloo Boy Tractor, GP Tractor, Model B Tractor and 50 Series Tractor. I'm turning into a John Deere nut, so collecting this stuff and setting up my own Railroad is going to be a blast. Thanks for the advice and pics and keep them coming. The wheels are turning in my head....