Jestine's Wholesale Lumber

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
A big thanks to everyone here on the Gauge for inspiring and helping make progress as an HO modeler. I'm on my third re-build in the basement in 5 years and here are some pics of the first corner that is nearing completion.

The buildings are Walthers but I used several techniques/ideas I picked up here. I took input on the track design and how it would line up for operations. The covered lumber loads are printed on paper and folded to the shapes you see as suggested by a fellow Gauger. The Coke machine was a project suggested here as well. I took someone else's advice on the concrete weathering, on the colored ends of the lumber, etc. and so on.

I want to add more and more detail to the scene but am very interested in your opinions as what things you might add and where. The next detail I hope to add is a fork lift handling some lumber and I'm guessing the workers probably drove their vehicles to get to work. ????

If you're new to the hobby like I am, I suggest you tune in here, keep up with current posts that interest you and then spend some time searching all the old ones. It really is a great community of modelers. :p

Attachments

• Overview1.JPG
    Overview1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Overview.JPG
    Overview.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 202
  • LookinWest.JPG
    LookinWest.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 192
  • CokeMachine.jpg
    CokeMachine.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 190
F

Fred_M

That's pretty dang great for a first, or even 7th try bud. You are doing fine and the cars and forklift would be cool. Trash and culled lumber piles only other things I could think of. Fred :thumb: .

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Looking good! I really like that coke machine.. :thumb:
Suggestions for added details:
1.A forklift like you said
2.Cars/pickup trucks for the workers.
3.Maybe a 18 wheeler with a load of lumber?
4. A street or road getting to the lumber company-unless its out of view in the picture..Apologies..I am a sticker for such details.

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I was able to find an F50 pickup at the LHS along with a couple of yard lights. Otherwise details were very slim.

I'm adding tie straps for the straight truck and I hope to find a dumpster for the trash you mentioned. I would imagine there would be black metal banding sitting about too.

The yard does have an empty flatbed trailer - I hope to have the forklift unloading it once I get it. And there is a road connecting the business to the rest of the world. It is supposed to be gravel but it came out looking wet and more like concrete. I sifted local gravel through very, very fine mesh to get powder - it didn't glue up like I hoped.

Attachments

• FlatbedAndRoad.JPG
    FlatbedAndRoad.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 168

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Rusty - That is really good, maybe in 5 years I can make mine look as good as yours !!!
With only about 4 hours a week that I can work on mine, I now have about 6 months in.
New beginner here, Randy C. - Little Choo Choo

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Hey Rusty that does look really great !!!!

What did you use for the lumber inside the shed ??? Did you just cut down some scale lumber and paint the ends ??? Inquiring minds want to know (as I have a lumber complex on my layout too (OF COURSE) ).