Jeff & Co.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Been in email convo with "Jeff" the last few days; this is his trackplan. He asked me for some feedback, which I gave him, but I thought I might see what you other much-more-wiser modellers thought ...............

Attachments

• jefflayout.jpg
    jefflayout.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 317

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I like the plan, Michael!
If it were me, I'd probably leave off a couple of the stub-ended spurs, for the sake of simplicity, & more scenery...
It's a classic design though, that puts a point-to-point plan in about half the space.
It also looks like the space is there, so that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include a loop at the upper left end, if you wanted to have a continuous running option.
You didn't say what the dimentions, or scale was,(my old, "much more wiser" eyes can't read the tiny type in your diagram :D ) so I'm assuming HO, about a 4 1/2ft deep shelf, along two walls, about 22 x 17 ft? It also looks like a couple of the curves are pretty sharp, so you might want to go with an industrial, freight kind of theme, using shorter length equipment.
The plan looks like it would provide room for plenty of rolling stock, & locomotives in the yard area...If it's against the wall, though, it might be kinda tough reaching those tracks in the rear!
How about bringing the loop area out into more of a peninsula, & narrowing the yard areas a little, for better access?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
22 by 17 WOW, can I come and make a logging layout in part of it:D

The track plan looks fine except I think maybe just a little too much track on the left side. Scenery is a very important factor, and with the tracks as they are, might be skimping on scenery here. Just my thoughts friend.
Shamus

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Hello, All.

Appreciate the reviews of my railroad. This is strictly a modern day industrial layout. What is not depicted is the return loop on the left side so as to allow continual running. The only scenery will be a backdrop going right down the middle to separate the north/top half from the bottom/south half. Scenery ie: hills and the like was not intended for this layout.

The prototype for this is based on industrial parks located in, Stockton, Lodi, Galt, Pittburg and Antioch California all of which are within 45 miles from home base.

I have also created a deliberately tight switching operation that replicates the problems that local crews have to deal with. There will be no 6 axle power used. I have a GP9, GP15-1, GP38-2 and SW1500 for motive fleet all of which are prototypical for industrial operations.

My only problem is what to put next to the yard. The idea of a scrap metal industry was contemplated but I want to use an industry that uses boxcars.

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Jeff, Just a thought, you might want to put either a wye or a turntable on the top part of the layout, so you don't have to back all the trains up into the loop. It's just a preference, some roads always had to back up!!:eek:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Jeff!
Welcome aboard!
I have a scrap yard on my free lance switching layout...it receives boxcars, because it is connected to asalvage/ machine works/forge complex...this was mainly my idea, because of space constraints, & wanying to add to the variety of traffic, which consists of gondolas for scrap metal, the occasional heavy load coming in on flat car, boxcars for finished shipments, & coal for the forge.
I only have three industries on this layout (it's very small), but they all require a wide variety of rolling stock.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
A paper mill will use box cars and you can associate a water feature with it as well. Then, for the full effect, you can go for smell-o-rama and chase everyone out of the house! Lots of industries use boxcars. How about a cattle operation with reefers? Not trying to offend the vegetarians out there. Or a milling operation, bring in the covered hoppers and tank cars and send out the packaged goods in boxcars. This could be a KalKan facility or a pasta plant. Either one has silos, rail service, etc.

Lots of automobile related facilities ship via rail, or used to. How about a general transfer facility from rail to trucking? I can see lots of little "The Gauge" boxes at this one.

Regards,
Ted

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi Jeff,
I live in Visalia, CA so I understand the tight switching yards. How about a Kraft Foods facility, they use lots of boxcars at the plants around here. Or how about a citrus cold storage? Here in town there is a lumber yard that gets lumber in boxcars from a spur across the street. You could do something similar and not have to model the whole lumber yard. Also, some of the plants in town use boxcars such as Coors beer, Frito Lay and and a business form company. Hope this helps give you some ideas.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Ah, Visalia - near and dear to the heart of the Ag business in California.

What do you know of RR ops at the Del Monte Foods in Hanford or Modesto?

I am contemplating using "their" facilities but need to know their exact prototypical ops and have been unable to confirm what kinds of railcars they receive if any at all.

Jeff