Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by arkitekto, Jun 30, 2008.

1. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

This has been an on and off project of mine for the past two years. Just thought now's a good time to share although I still have a long way to go:

I already caught several errors in my model and would be fixing them in the next (hopefully) few weeks.

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! thats very good! Thanks for sharing it with us - how are you doing the designing?
  3. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

The research part was what took a large chunk of my time. I had to decide what goes to the model since these vehicles are largely custom-built --- therefore dimensions and details vary from one another. I even had to visit a jeepney factory to take photos and measurements. Which proved invaluable since I'm now living in the opposite end of the globe.

I've been using Vectorworks to create the model and some help with Pepakura for some components. But after discovering a recently released third party unfolding plugin, I'll be doing all my designing and coloring solely in VW.

4. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Nice looking model. The suspension is killer. Looks to be a fun build.
  5. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

What a great idea! I seen loads of these going through Manila, but never throught of turning them into a card model. BTW, I get an error trying to view the picture:cry:, but would like to see more.

The design of the Jeepney is based on the old Willy's (?) Jeep, the US used in WWII. They just cut them in half and added a section for seating. I'm sure there are some jeep designs out there that you can use if you have problems.

Are you going to do a sheet of "accessories"? That way people can customise their Jeepney just like in real life:mrgreen: Oh, and doing the *really* bald spare tire strapped next to the driver should be easy to model in paper.
  6. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

Actually, modern jeepneys are related more closely to the Isuzu Elf (N-series) truck than the Willy's. Same engine and chassis.

Yup, Andreas, since there is no 'standard' jeepney design, the only starting point is with the basic generic body and then leave it to the modeller to add the accessories ('burloloys'). :)

Thank you for the comments.
  7. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Jeepney? Oh my gosh! I had to see this thread after seeing that word! You did an excellent jo of portraying this mass transportation vehicle. Since I come from the Phillipines, I'm overjoyed to see this. The model not only looks fantastic in it's early stages, but if you even coated it with paint, it would prove simply EPIC!
  8. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

YEAH!!! omgosh ! seeing that makes me miss home...that is a great build! keep up the great work!!:D
  9. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Wow!!! The Pinoy transport icon finally has a card model!!! :-D

I hate to admit, but it makes me kinda' sore whenever I see them on the road, not because I don't like jeepneys (I think they are one of the coolest vehicles around), but because of the drivers that drove them, almost all of them don't respect traffic rules...

It has been a car driver precaution to stay clear of them as much as possible because they can be unpredictable on the road... plus the fact that many of them don't have any working lights (signal lamps, brake lights, even headlights [well, the headlights can be of an exception but many of them are fixed on the high beam position]) makes them dangerous to private motorists...
  11. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Jeepney Build.

Professional quality build. I've been building model cars from card for 28 years, but after seeing your work, I have a long way to go before I can match that.
  12. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

Whoa! That's quite a compliment, Mark. Thanks!

Here's an update on the model:

As shown as well in my 3d rendering, I've decided to modify the side panels to stiffen up the roof support.

The only things missing in my 'generic' jeepney would be the seating and steering wheel.

What do you guys think? Since this is just a prototype, should I proceed next with the accessories or should I stop and create the final colored version instead?

13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Just saw this thread and can say only word "WOW" great job on this truck Ariel...Can not wait to see a color version :)
  14. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

15. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I think you should go ahead and colour it! Have you got any ideas on how you want to colour it? The choices are infinite! The choice of accessories is also huge, add what you want, but give the builders some hints of what's possible (links, pictures). That way people can build the base model, accessorised, or custom made!
  16. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

The color version will have to be put on hold. I have to resolve a couple of issues with my model. Passenger back cushions have to be remodeled to compensate for paper thickness. Also realized that I haven't built the rear bumper and grillwork yet.

Latest updates: front seat and steering wheel installed; roof structure partially attached to the main body.
  17. Hans Christian

Hey sir Ariel!!! I saw you on the IPMS Philippines BAC forums!!! Welcome!!! :-D

Great progress on the dyip!!!

BTW, what's your plan on the interior? I rode some jeepneys having disco bar-like interiors... :-D
  18. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member

Yup, I joined the IPMS and Cardmodel forums around the same time so I figured I should post my 1st message over there as well.

Hehe, I'd probably focus more on the exterior in the final version. Or maybe you have a point there --- a detachable roof. Hmmm...

19. Hans Christian

hehe!!! Anyway, your model will look great in one form or another!!! :-D
  20. arkitekto

arkitekto New Member