jbaakko's, Spring 07 scratchbuilt challenge

Discussion in 'Competitions & Challenges' started by jbaakko, Apr 7, 2007.

1. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Bring it on I say. I'm never one to back down from a "challenge" per say, I mean I did build that Weed Sprayer car...

Two months, I'll have this baby:

HO scale build, styrene, plaster (maybe), and foam. Lets see if I can pull it off!
  2. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Now that is different! Looking forward to some photos of your progress.
  3. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

All ready there Gary

The elevator tower is complete, minus the entrance room (its built but not attached) and the ladderwell.
  4. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

That is definately going to be a one of a kind on the layout! Good start on the elevator.
  5. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Not really, there's about half a dozen oddball structures, including the industries in the Victorville area, and the hump tower. This one just, well, it'll be right in th middle, and out in the open!

I've painted it blue so far. I'm working on the entrance, and access door right now, then I have the ladder well to work on. Hopefully the plans can get here (and not my cruddy scan & print copy) so I can get to it on the rest!
  6. pfs

pfs Member

Your 'cruddy scan and print' looks pretty good. You mention better plans (assumed bought) where did you get/find plans for this ?

7. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Soneone on a Yahoo group pointed out that the Aug 1979 RMC has HO scale plans, which i did not know until I started planning for it!
  8. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Lookin great so far!
  9. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

It's coming along now...
  10. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Really rolling now, though all the glue fumes gave me one MONSTER headache (doesn't help much that I work around fuel all day).
  11. stripes

stripes Member

Looking good Josh!!
  12. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

So I realized an error in my planning, and now I'm forced to remove each of the large side panels an start again. Oh well, there's not much holding them on yet.
  13. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

14. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

This is looking REALLY COOL Josh, keep it up, can't wait to see some more progress!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  15. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Its been a while... I had to scratch build the stairs, I could not find a close enough match for them in any kit.
    Now to finish the upper walkway, the roof, and to paint the interior creme, and add the windows. I'm going to to leave the roof unsecured, as I plan to maybe add an interior someday.
  16. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

That is so cool!! I really like the stairs you scratchbuilt, flat out awesome
  17. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Looks immaculate from here too, but up close, the steps are a little off. Very fun to build. Now to the scratch walkway & railing.
  18. jesso

jesso Member

Looks really good! I agree that the stairs look really good, don't sell yourself short on them. Your project looks really well done, keep up the good work!
  19. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

I'm done, are you?

I have to decide now, in the future year or so, if I want an interior, how I want it, and ect... Its been a rough ride, but it turned out!
  20. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer

Coolest looking building i have seen in a while. You got my vote. "thumbs up"