Jaybats' Daedalus

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dhanners, Jun 30, 2007.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

I've tried like heck to be open-minded about the new website, but after trying to post a threat and uploading pictures for the umpteenth time -- and getting a message that says "DATABASE ERROR -- The Zealot Hobby Forum database has encountered a problem yadda yadda yadda" for the umpteenth time -- I finally gave up.

Anyway, I was going to post some photos of my build-up of Jaybats' Daedalus-class ship from Stargate SG-1. The model is pretty complicated, and by about three-quarters of the way through, I realized that I had so many glue smears that I should either give up or come up with a Plan B. So my Plan B was to finish the model, but then add surface detail all over it, and then paint it. So I went that route. The model has quite a bit of surface detail added to it in the form of paneling and other "nernie" detail made out of card or pieces of laminated card. Then I painted it gray, and used various pens to color bits and pieces of it to break up the monotone nature of it. To replicate the windows, I used white and black gel pens.

And I'd love to show all y'all photos of the thing, but the website won't let me, it would seem....
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Are you trying to load pics as attachments or links???

As of right now, last I heard anyways, there are no attachments. You'll need a free hosting account such as Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

And I'd love to see your build. I did the Prometheus, and it was kinda tricky.

<edit> entering photobuckets url gets you a little ad instead of just the URL. Not sure I'm a fan of that, but it is kinda funny....
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Actually I've been able to upload directly to the gallery and then use the 'BB Code' to link the pictures directly into threads.
  4. dhanners

dhanners Member

Where in the heck is the Gallery? I haven't been able to find it on the new site.
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

It's embarrasingly obvious. I just spent 5 minutes looking for it.

It's the big button at the top right of each page.....
  6. dhanners

dhanners Member

I uploaded a couple of photos, into a gallery named "dhanners," but I'm not sure I know how to get there from here.

I know the folks behind the cardmodels site put a lot of work into it, but this newfangled thing really frustrates me....
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

You just need to copy the BBCode from the picture view.

For example [​IMG]

By removing the *'s you get

an AWESOME looking pic....
  8. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Excellent build & mods as always!

Close-ups of some of the detailing you did would probably be very interesting to other sci-fi card modellers too... I just wish I already had the time to draw the really fine hi-res textures the Daedalus deserves...oh well, note for version 2...
  9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

When this happens to me I usually print the model on regular paper and just cover up my mistakes with it. If you apply the glue thinly to the model first with a brush, then give it a minute or two before putting on the paper, it won't get that weird pinkish tint.