Japanese Punch drill

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Texman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Ok, you guys have been using these for some time now. How are they holding up in the long run? Bits need sharpening, movement still smooth, etc.
    I'd also like to know how the inexpensive ones are holding up compared to the Nonaka brand ones.

2. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

mine is awesome and worth every penny
    i am very pleased with the purchase
    it is a tool every modeler should have access too
    ive even cut wierd shapes with the smaller bits and it makes it look
    ever better than i could cut a oval or elliptical shape by hand

/jedi mind trick on
    you must purchase it
    /jedi mind trick off

3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I bought one of the expensive ones from Talas. It works great and looks like it will last forever. No problem with the bits dulling. The only problem I've run into is that sometimes I've needed to punch larger holes than the included bits. I may get a set of the larger bits that B-Manic linked to.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I finally had myself convinced to buy the nice one Barx is talking about. I was all set to pay and couldnt convince myself to click the pay button. 70 dollars with shipping is just too rich for me :( has anyone gotten one of the 30 dollar ones off ebay? Come with 5 bits. Not a 1mm bit though.... I am interested in that one cause I want to but rivets on my current build like Johnny did with his last one.

Oh well :(
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I just managed to get one off of EBay for $25 delivered with 5 bits and it's the nice one with the wooden handle.
    You have to just keep checking.
    I saw one the other day for a start bid of $5 and that is what it sold for.
    It only had one bit but you can shop around for those also.
    You just have to be diligent in your search if you want the bargain.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I just bought the nice one with 9 bits :)
  8. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Thanks for everyone's input :wave: I'm feeling much better about buying one now. I've seen a set on eBay with 8 bits. The seller also has three additional bits for a total of 11. Nothing less than 1mm though, I guess for that you need to make your own. :mrgreen:

Thanks again everyone!

9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

11 bits?!? Ok, give him up!
    Where is he?:mrgreen:
    I need to get some more bits!:twisted:

10. 57townsman

57townsman Member

11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks Steve!:thumb:
    I may have to get that one just so I will have a full set of bits.

12. john wagenseil

john wagenseil New Member

There is a very cheap though somewhat clumsy alternative to the Japanese Book Drill Punch for Members, who already have some workshop basics.

Buy a set of hollow punches, remembering your get what you pay for.

A cheap Chinese set from HFT or flea market will not hold their edge as well as Japanese, Polish or US made set with decently hardened and ground steel. Or even get the small punches for the punch drill but not the drill itself.

Chuck one of the Punches into a egg beater hand drill and start drill- punching holes in paper. I picked up a couple of high quality used old hand drills at a flea market a few years ago for very little money, and their quality is much better than the new stuff.

I am going Luddite and using more and more traditional hand tools. They are easier on the fingers than their power bretheren (the pain, dropping the tool causing it to quit working are simultaneous, unlike a power tool which just keeps digging away at your flesh), quieter which is a plus if you live in an apartment and play with tools at night, and more fun if yo are not obsessed with speed.
  13. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

If anyone has one of the cheaper (~$25) punches made in China, please check to see if there is any manufacturing information on it (or on the packaging, if that's still around). I am trying to locate the factory where they are made.

Mine just says "Made in China". :-\

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer a clue.
  14. akremedy

akremedy New Member

I finally took the plunge (is that a pun??) and threw down a substantial investment in a screw punch (with 8 tips) plus the addt'l 3 tips add-on (1mm, 4.5 and 5mm) to round out the selection.

Purchased mine from an eBay Express vendor:
    eBay Express: Japanese Screw Punch 8 tips for paper, leather etc. NEW - Description

I did note that my local Michael's crafts store has a screw punch in the "Martha Stewart" line for a paltry $24, but only includes 3 tips and no mention of what sizes they are. I debated getting it and mail ordering the higher-end tips package, but with my luck, they'd be incompatible and I would end up buying the higher end punch anyway.