Japanese Punch drill

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Texman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

Got mine yesterday. I'm gonna love doing wheels, tires, and all other
    manner of cool stuff!

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Can't Help This...,

Ok Ray, I was 95 to 5 that this would happen..., Sweet huh?

3. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

All right. That's it. I've ordered mine!
  4. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Would you believe it... $9 shipping was supposed to buy me FEDEX Ground, but they sent it second day. Well, it wasn't cheap, but I think I'm going to enjoy this tremendously! I wish they'd also make a 0.5mm bit, though.

Attached Files:

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm sure you will enjoy it! After a while, you'll get tired of fishing those bits out of their little bags. You might want to make something to hold them handy. I just used a piece of scrap wood, drilled and labeled:

Attached Files:

6. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Thanks! I was already thinking about something like that - only I think I'll make it so the bits go in with the tip down. I'm pretty clumsy and might ding them otherwise.

7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

You could also just buy a cheap plastic compartment case like that used for fishing tackle. I thought I was smart and ordered a punch set from widget supply, along with a digital caliper and knife blades. Unfortunately, they were true punches, not hole punches:cry:

I do have some hole punches I bought from Scheuer-Struever (moduni.de) a while back, but they are too large for gauges, and not very sharp. Guess I'll just have to get the push drill. Just have to time it so that it arrives on a Saturday when my wife is working. :grin:
  8. malachite

malachite Member

I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread but having checked out the price they are far too pricey for me. What I would like to add is, has anyone tried using hollow steel punches as used in the jewllery and leather trades? They are a good deal cheaper and the punched "hole" can be retrieved in the same manner as the punch drill. I've been using my set for a year now with no degradation of cutting power. They were purchased from Findingking, try this link http://www.findingking.com/StoreFro...mDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=102022&c=0&i=54347203
  9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Malachite - I was referring to hollow 'hole' punches in my last post but the quality of my set wasn't very good. The set you list is very affordable! Even if you bought both the 5 and 9 piece sets it would be a quarter of the cost of the push drill.
  10. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

@ Malachite - I've been using the leather-type punches. They work ok, but you have to sharpen them. The fact that you have to whack them with a hammer makes accurate positioning difficult. Also, the smallest one I found is 1/16th, which is way too large for most of what I do.

@rmks2000 - I also have a couple of the orange punches, though I got them from lighthouse model art. I find they only work for the punched-out disk, the hole they make is pretty rough.

I did some testing of the screw-punch and must say that this is one cool tool.

11. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

I don't want to lose or damage any of the bits. After all, this is a pretty expensive tool, at least for my budget. I've designed this box for the stuff to go in. I'll be happy to share the plans, if anybody is interested. Note - the box will only fit this drill brand.

12. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Oliver, I can see a need for this tool in the near future and I think it would be a good idea to protect this tool with a box to protect it. I would like the plans. Do you plan to put them on this site or do you want my e-mail address?

13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good Idea

Again, good idea! Are the bit holes labeled?

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Oooh, I like this! I may be dense, but is this a card box? If it is, I'd like it!

15. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Curse this forum! Forcing me to order one too!:roll:
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I bought this one on E-Bay that comes with 5 punches.
    It was selling for $11.50 US plus $6.00 for shipping.
    The seller had a "Make An Offer" button so I did.
    I offered $10 US and they accepted! 8)

Now, I guess the seller wants to make up for it.
    The price is now $13.00 plus shipping and no more make offer button.
    Still a bargain in my book.

Just to note; I would give an address but the seller is on vacation and has temporarily closed the store and the page cannot be accessed right now.
    I will upload the url when it becomes available again.
    This is the same one that was shown by Bowdenja (John). Thanks John!8) :grin:

17. smyfe

smyfe Member

Hi, Russell that is the same one that I have been watching:) (waiting for payday on Monday) Hope he will post to the UK:-D
  18. DrBill

DrBill Member

The complete set (brass Japanese punch with 10 bits) will set you back about $50-60. Not cheap, but probably worth it in terms of time spent and models saved. Like any punch, you need to use the right kind of material behind the card you're trying to punch. Too soft, and the taper on the drill bit will push through and enlarge the hole. Too hard, and you could dull the punch. I've found that cutting mats, cardboard, etc., are much too soft. Hardened masonite works okay, but the best I've found so far is scrap formica left over from an old remodeling job. You should be able to pick up scraps from any store that does kitchen or bathroom remodeling. Each hole punched will leave a scar, so get a lot.
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool! I am hoping that it works as good as the expensive one.
    I do not see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Also I hope he isn't on vacation too long as there is no indication of when he will be back.

For those that don't have access to cutting mats, he has a couple different sizes, all at Wal Mart pricing.
    (Probably the cheapest you can find.)

I also ordered one of these pattern tracers for making rivets.
    It was $2.99 plus $4 for shipping but I got the shipping reduced to $2
    because I asked them to combine the shipment for me.:grin:

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Russell............. I saw the marking wheel they sold and was going to post a link, but the site was down.

Glad it's back I was having withdrawals!:grin: