Japanese Punch drill

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Texman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

I ordered one of the Japanese punch drills w/bits, and after looking at a recent thread about punching disks for engine cylinders, I got to wondering.

Exactly how large are the punch drills? As most know, I build 1/144 scale
    aircraft, and was primarily looking to punch out wheels and tires. I understand the sizes are .5mm, 1.0mm, etc, but visually, how big will this
    diameter be? Am I going to be sending this thing back, or will I be alright
    for what I need? Even thought of the engine cylinder idea for my scale.

Someone reinforce me! I'm feeling pretty insecure!

2. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Works great - see my post on the Fokker. Needs a little practice if you are wanting to punch accurately from a printed page.
    Punches from 1mm to 5mm - should have lots of possibilities for your scale, more so than 1:33

3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

You should be ok for the cylinders and wheels.
    Just in case
    1mm = 0.039inch
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Just Wait

Just use it once and then decide...,

5. Texman

Texman Guest

Your thread is the exact one I was referencing. I see the pic you posted of the beginning of the cylinders. What size punch is that one?
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Well, one of those round toothpicks like you get out of the dispensers at some restaurants is about 2mm in diameter.

5mm in inches is around .197 which is somewhere between 3/16" and 13/64". If you have a drill bit set it might have some of those sizes so you can get a good visual of what the diameters would look like.:)
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Where'd you get it? I've been trying to locate one, but I don't know the name or web site. Thanks.
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

9. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Texman - that one is 3mm
  10. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

I've had mixed experiences with a variety of punches. I'm very interested in this tool - specifically because it offers metric bits. I do have these questions, though:

- what do the edges of the cut hole look like? are they turned downward, frayed, uneven in any way?

- what does the cutting look like, is it a good usable disk, or is it frayed, bent or otherwise deformed?

- what's the life of the bits? do they get dull quickly? How do you sharpen them?

11. hpept

hpept Member

I'm still wondering why the International System is not adopted worldwide :cry::cry::cry:
    Texman, forgive me but I didn't understand what your doubt was about until I realized that some unlucky countries are still sticking to Imperial System. If someone is not familiar with metric system, I warmly recommend to start learning about this because this is the standard that hopefully will take place all over the world. Great Britain has already started the conversion, and it was not so painful. Unfortunately, expecially in the industry field, we'll have to deal with mess and confusion for a while...
    I can speak about this with awareness because I worked some years dealing with integration of high-tech electro mechanical devices coming from all over the world (America, Europe, Japan) and when it came to put things together it was always a pain in the butt.
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I can't comment on longevity, as I've not had mine long. CmdrTed has had his awhile and says they are remaining sharp.

As for the hole and the cutting: The cut line of the hole is perfectly round, smooth, not frayed. The edge of the hole IS turned down a little at the back, moreso for thicker stock than thin. The cutting is likewise perfectly smooth, with not even visible rounding at the back. I use them for parts all the time.

13. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Another question: how easy is it to get the disks out of the drill without deforming them?
  14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Didn't have a problem at all with that. Plus, if you keep cutting, they will start coming out on their own :grin:
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Only for the larger ones, if you poke something small and sharp in there (like a toothpick). As long as you use something nearly as large as the disk, or at least flat on the end, no problem.

16. rowiac

rowiac Member

I agree with your gripe. I worked in the US automotive industry in the second half of the '80s and they had switched almost completely to the metric system for mechanical designs by then. Later I moved to the medical device and computer industries (e.g., younger companies) and had to take a step backwards to work with inches again. Go figure.

As I recall, in the mid-1970s there was an effort in the US to start using kilometers on highway signs. Supposedly a few hundred people signed a petition against it, and the politician working on the project chickened out and halted the effort.

To avoid hijacking the thread, here's something on topic. I would give that push drill a go if it wasn't so pricey.

17. Kaz

Kaz Member

I used to build stage sets with my brother for large London theatres, (Chess, Cats, Starlight Express etc etc) One design came from America, and after cutting all the scaffolding, plywood etc we got it on site, only to discover it wouldnt fit. Quick phone call to the Designer who asked us if we were using metric feet? METRIC FEET???? yes he said 300 mm to a foot.
    He was on the next flight over. :(
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Way Things Are & The Way Things Go

I remember the first onslaught of the metric system on America. It lasted a couple of years and most everyone shrugged it off except the physicists and they had to yield to the yield in kilo- and megatons of TNT (life was such a blast back then). The American response was overwhelmingly impervious to it otherwise. They've been pecking away at us ever since with some effect. One of the better things I've found is Handspring Calc for PDAs. It has linear, area and volume conversions making life livable when forced to deal with metric types....,

19. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Thanks for the input on the push-drill, guys. Looks like I'll be asking Santa (or Peter, since it's sooner) for one!

BTW - I seem to recall that we've lost a multi-gazillion dollar Mars lander because somebody got pounds per foot and newton-meters mixed up :D

20. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I've done a bunch of looking around on the web and http://talasonline.com/ has the best price on the push drill (punch drill) by a wide margin. Most other online stores are charging $20 to $40 more. Talas' shipping charge to me is $9, which seems a little high, but is more than made up for by the savings. Here's why I'm getting one (Lars Folmann's R-7 transporter):