Jan 4th Weekly Photo Fun

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I got my second HOn3 piece today. I wandered into Coronado Scale Hobbies with the intentions of buying some HOn3 trucks for some box cars I'm working on and walked out with this as well. It's from Blackstone models and the detailing is top notch as well as the crispness of the lettering (though you can't tell 'cause of the fuzziness of the picture). I was also very pleased to find out that it comes with metal wheels (blackened ones at that). Now, I need to find some narrow gauge scale cows!

DCP_6646_copy.jpg

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I have never really grasped the concept of HOn3 and all the narrow gauge scales (are there more?) but what is the acctual scale of HOn3, because it looks like some 1/32 scale (which is what I collect trucks, tractors, and construction equipment in) cows would fit nicely.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
It's Hardly 1/32 scale!!

Basically HOn3 is 3 foot gauge, HO scale railroading (1:87, like normal HO)

Say there's an X scale..

X scale is 1:1 for instance.

Xn3 is 3 foot Narrow Gauge
Xn2 is 2 foot NG
Xn30 is 2 foot 6 inch NG.

All of them are stll 1:1 but different GAUGES, not SCALES.

Hope this helps. :)

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
It's Hardly 1/32 scale!!

Basically HOn3 is 3 foot gauge, HO scale railroading (1:87, like normal HO)

Say there's an X scale..

X scale is 1:1 for instance.

Xn3 is 3 foot Narrow Gauge
Xn2 is 2 foot NG
Xn30 is 2 foot 6 inch NG.

All of them are stll 1:1 but different GAUGES, not SCALES.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you very much! I have always had it described in more confusing terms.:confused: So it is kind of like HO trains on N scale track?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
So it is kind of like HO trains on N scale track?
Close, really close. Evidently HOn30 (HO scale with a gauge of 2'6") will run on n scale track. HOn3 is a gauge of 36" and is just ever so slightly bigger and requires its own track.
When I bought my first HOn3 engine, I thought I'd bring it home and test it out on my N scale layout. That's when I learned the difference.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Nice pictures everyone!

(Sorry I can't add any for a while...the whole bonus room is undergoing rennovation and the layout is moving around as each room project gets completed per instructions from upper level management.)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
looks like a good week for everyone!

Here are some pictures of my Central Of New Jersey caboose kit that i'm building. Initialy, the "made almost entirely out of wood" part scared me, but I haven't had to much trouble. If anything, i just need to make some grab irons straighter. right now, its not fully assembled, and the trucks aren't fully built either (i just posed it to look semi finished)

It helps though that i rebuilt on of these for my Eagle Scout project, and i will be numbering it for the car i did. Lots of good pictures of weird spots on the caboose.

1808011fl9.jpg

1808012he9.jpg

1808013ne2.jpg

IandOFan71

Mar 20, 2007
Groveport, Ohio
Awesome photos everyone!!!:thumb: It's been a while so I thought throw one in the mix. Here we have the Straitsville turn stopping to switch the very busy Monday Creek #4 mine on it's way back to Nelsonville, Ohio. One of the mine workers climbed on his rooftop to capture the leased Reading unit on the point.

Attachments

• 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 11

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I was working on my tourist train last night and discovered that my flat black and flat white both had dried up on me. I went to Wal-Mart to get more and found that they had deleted the entire modeling section. Models, paint, cement, brushes, airbrushes, everything, gone! The excuse is that there wasn't enough being sold to warrant stocking the items. I had to settle for flat black and flat white in rattle cans, meaning that I had to do a load of masking before I could do any painting. The models came out good enough, considering. I still have to fine sand them and design some decals. I'll have to find another supply of decal paper since that went the way of the DO-Do thanks to Wal-Mart's brilliant decision. They're not my favorite people right now.

P1010041.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010045.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
HEY FOLKS, just a reminder, this thread IS CLOSED to pictures...but COMMENTS are still WELCOME.

PLEASE post NEW PICTURES to THE MOST CURRENT "WEEKLY PHOTO FUN" thread. THANK YOU!
mysmilie_63.gif
-Deano

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Evidently HOn30 (HO scale with a gauge of 2'6") will run on n scale track. HOn3 is a gauge of 36" and is just ever so slightly bigger and requires its own track.
N and HOn30 (aka HOn2-1/2, HOe) use 9mm gauge. HOn3 uses 10.5mm gauge, which, I believe, is also Sn2, but no standard guage scale uses this track. It's midway between N and TT (12mm gauge). Incidentally, the main use of TT track nowadays is for HOm - 1 meter gauge, HO scale.

This is an annoyance for North American modellers. The common narrow gauges (for modelling, anyway - 3'6" was more common in reality than 2') are 3' and 2'. However, on the scale progression G, 1, O, S, HO, TT, N, Z, using one scale on the track of the scale one step down produces meter gauge, 3'6", or something in between. Using a gauge two steps down produces a gauge of about 2'6". It seems European modellers have it easier, for the main narrow gauges there are 1m and 75/76cm!