Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by inflammable, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inflammable

inflammable New Member

Hello. My name is James, and I'm a railfan.

I ignored it for a large portion of my life, seemingly content to drive by railroads, and imagine.

I have a box of HO scale equipment, but I haven't done much with it. I did have the obligatory 4x8 in my first apartment, an S shaped single track, with a couple sidings. I drug that board around for much longer than I had it set up.

I don't have a lot of patience for the finer work, and I tend to run a little cheap, when faced with buying tools and whatever else, those things that make a fine finished product easier.

Then, in 2005, I bought a new computer, and was able to run Microsoft Train Simulator. I notice that program has little to do with this site, which is fine.

I learned a modeling program, and could build little whatever's for it, until I finally tired of not having good reference photos. So, I bought a digital camera, in Summer of 06, and things have taken off since.

I still don't have a layout, and my box of equipment is packed away. I have a computer full of things for MSTS, but I haven't the time to fool with it much now. I also have a ton of photos, mostly of railcars, but some other things too.

I think most railfans are Engine and Caboose guys, that seems to be what you all like to see. I'm a Freight Car guy. The cars themselves, how the load goes in, how it gets out, why the car looks the way it does, all kinds of things like that, are way more interesting to me, than whatever may be on the ends of the train.

As a result, I have a folder full of pictures of industries. A lot of them are rail to truck transloading sites, as these are generally a little easier to photograph than regular industries.

I plan to upload the photos, along with whatever observations I can remember, to the Trackside Industries and Details forum.

I hope someone can find something useful in them.

2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Thank you James and you can rest assured your reference material will be greatly appreciated. I feel certain you will find a common bond with many of our railroading members and hope you will not hesitate to engage any of them in conversation. You will be hard put to find a friendlier group. Welcome to Zealot James.
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey James...Good to have you here....:wave:

Don't swear off on that stuff you have packed away....There are many variations that have done away with the typical 4x8, as well as a variety of materials that can be used. The "finished" product need not be a work of art, just something to see your favorite freight cars doing their thing....

Try it...I KNOW you'll like it...:thumb:
  4. inflammable

inflammable New Member

Thanks for your replies.

What I forgot to mention in that initial post, is that almost all my railfanning, and hobby time, is concentrated at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum, in Versailles, Kentucky. Plenty of work to do there, and at the end of each week, we get to fire up our N&W GP9 #675, and drag some old commuter coaches down the line and back. For right now, that beats out modeling and train chasing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.