Jaguar - plan and progress

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Arjun, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

With a new tube of white glue (and that drying reserve got some fresh glue too), I started another test build. I was aware that finding the folding points (where do I glue what?) would be tough, so I had marked them in the SVG. Not too bad, but that ring of the fuselage holding the wings is a little difficult to model. I found out what to do only after I packed up for the day!

The whole model was done using regular printing paper. Not too bad, as I got the armaments in the wings (and also the wings themselves) nicely, though one wing has a cut visible. Maybe in a later build I'll fix that. When I would paint the models with acrylic paint, I could cover these gaps easily. Not with these printed models.

My construction in Blender was done keeping in mind a visible cockpit and transparent canopy. I've dropped both ideas in this test build. I'm still not sure which glue to use- or use cellophane tape. CA glue is dangerous when not handled well, and epoxy often takes forever.

Then there's the teeny-weeny tail end of the fuselage. Maybe I've modelled/unfolded it wrongly, but it's really small. So are the tabs- so I had to cut the tabs differently- stretching way out. That did the trick for most of the parts, especially the fuselage. Not to mention, I forgot to make some tabs and accessories in Inkscape! Minor glitch, that.

One more day...and then I'll paint this model in GIMP.
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

I build 1/144 scale aircraft and find that the best stock is 65 or 67 lb cardstock for the main airframe parts, and regular bond printer paper for
    the smaller details and the tightly rolled (landing gear) parts. You do
    have to be careful of the water content of your glue at this size, so I
    use the Alene brand.

3. Arjun

Arjun Member

Now there's another problem- I've got all unfolds ready, and have got them to fit in nicely, most of the parts, but I can't mark folding lines!

I left out the lines deliberately because I don't want it to interfere with the textures. Maybe I'll get back the raw unfolds (benefits of recycled raw material) and trace out the edges and print them separately, cut both (textured and edge-marked pieces) out, paste them together. Oh well, more work, I guess.
  4. Arjun

Arjun Member

Finished my beta build...and my...does it look wobbly! The tail end is tough to put together, and some tabs stick outward. Moreover, the flat bottom of this aircraft goes up and down. The paper thickness isn't so much an issue, as the larger parts are fitting in neatly. The inner frame doesn't fit in here.

I even used a thicker paper to make a few parts, and the smaller parts would not assemble or fit properly, though I can fold the shape neatly. The inner frame still doesn't fit in.

Photos will come camera is locked in a cupboard and I don't have the keys...and my phone takes dreadful photos...
  5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Hi Lex

Hey Lex. I've only just gotten around to catching up on this thread, hence the delay.... I see what you mean with the paper thickness issue at small scales.

And, no, you've got my meaning with cardstock. I use about 60 pound, which is around 200 gsm. Your 80 gsm would be the equivalent of the regular printer paper I use as well (20 pound). I always found it felt flimsy to me, but with internal support etc, and as you say, sans hammer blows, it works. I guess I just like the feeling of substance I get from the heavier stock. It all comes down to personal preference I suppose. Thanks for making me clear that up in my own head.

6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Haha, yea, I guess it is just a matter of personal preference ^^ I've build with thick paper once and it does feel different. Oh well, let's not derail this thread... Any news Arjun?
  7. Arjun

Arjun Member

Now I've printed the layout, with both the textures and the fold lines. This was on BILT's 75gsm paper, and I still use the same white glue. I pasted these textured and fold-marked pieces back to back, and the paper is thus, also a lot harder, and folds just right. That said, fitting those cross-section framepieces is still a problem- I prepared them separately. I had thought of having a length framepiece, then decided against it as a development will have a transparent canopy.
  8. Arjun

Arjun Member

Photos ready: Here's a test build...and a few problems (1:144...may change to 1:120 in final) encountered, marked with the highlighter. Pardon my bad photography, but it was done in a hurry.
    The tail fins fitted well initially, and I added some glue, then they collapsed when my camera came out.
    The stabilisers are a little off line.
    If fitting the wings without going through and across the fuselage was tough, I ended up sticking one ahead of another! The turbines also didn't sit in too well.
    Only decent photo, and that circled area is a long 'spinal' panel that collapsed.
  9. Arjun

Arjun Member

As an alternative, I've thought of modelling that entire 'top-spine' separately from the rest of the fuselage, which I'll model ring-by-ring. I have finished two different textures for this model, including the multiple 'warning' or 'instruction' labels, which were anyway so small at the scale that they have no detail. The camouflage textures were purely guesswork, so how they appear is anybody's guess. I may need a sketchpen to run on the model when it's finished.

I may release the textured (or blank) layouts, as well as the layouts with fold edges, on demand. For now, I have a few queries-
    • Do I model that thin spine separately as a unit?
    • More than a few pieces have been modelled at thicker card (two 75gsm stuck back-to-back) except for the tail end, at 75gsm.
    • Do I abandon the inner frame? Some of those cross-sections don't even cover the whole piece inside. I used the same double-thick paper and the frame collapsed in some places. I may change the type of tabs, if nothing else- longer tabs, or one tab for multiple sides.
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Your call

Hmmmm..... Tough questions. As the one doing the test builds you're really in the best position to decide.
    How big would the spine be at this scale? I think I would lean toward making it a separate piece.
    What material are you using for the inner frame?
    If it's just not fitting properly, I would think you can adjust the size to make it work.
    If it's just plain not working, then either re-design it or drop it. A lot of good models (Fiddlers Green stuff for example) use little or no internal framing.

11. Arjun

Arjun Member

That spine in the photo is barely six centimetres in length, but the final build will be over seven.

Another problem is (would anyone like to see the unfolds?) the tab configuration- that will have to change. Since the top-spine meets the fuselage at the top, I tried putting tabs on spine and folding them outward, to sit under the fuselage. That didn't happen, so my next design will have the tabs on the fuselage, folding upward, so that the spine can sit on it nicely.

I tried another test build, and even in that, the tail fin doesn't touch the spine, when the spine was a composite unit, and not parts stuck to parts of the fuselage. The stabilisers were made to be 3-D, or full, and that's left some gaps in the spine.
  12. Arjun

Arjun Member

An update- I've printed out the unfolds for the strike variant in colour, and rolled up the parts. They're all looking good, fitting in nicely, but that tail end (stabilisers) still show thin gaps. Not to mention, there are some mismatches which result in white patches on that spine. I will need some paint and will make appropriate corrections in the base files (strike and marine) before uploading them- of course, after I'm finished. There's also a teeny-weeny tail end bit that I need to fix, as it's become a little bigger with an upscale. I've upscaled the final model, and it has made a difference, as everything fits in well.

I'm still hopeful the wings will sit in properly, as they don't have extensions running across the fuselage unlike my earlier models. Hopefully they won't behave like bird wings- luckily, even those of the test builds don't.
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice! I think at this stage you can give the files to someone else for a testbuild , and see what they have to say on the current design.
  14. Arjun

Arjun Member

It's done...somehow!

Final model photos - this is the Strike variant.

Montage 1
    Montage 2
    There were some minor problems- The weapons were not parallel to the ground, and the intakes are not sitting square, and I avoided the squadron signs, as they may be too small for the GIMP to process.

It's only one plane, not three! There will be one more, the Marine variant, taking notes from the mistakes here. The kit I've prepared is full of dodgy tabs, some out of place. I'll fix them and then upload.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Now that's AWESOME!!! Can't wait for the release!
  16. gregh

gregh Member

Oh yes - i can't wait either - THANK YOU
  17. Peter_D

Peter_D New Member

Jaguar i one of my favourite jet plane