Odda Norway
1. Model : Jagdtiger (henschell)
2. Scale : 1:25
3. Publisher and model number : GPM nr 079 seria G
4. Skill level : 3
5. Measures : Length 42cm,width 15cm,height 12 cm

The cover

The kit contains 26 pages.
6 pages with instructions and 20 pages of parts, formers and tracks.

The instructions seems good.A lot of 3d drawings and half a page with written instructions in polish.

The print seems very good with nice colors and a lot of 3d effects like rivets and pattern on the ouside skin.

There are also available 3 sets of photoetch for this one.
I'm not sure about lasertracks for this one.....I havent seen tracks for this one anywhere.
Maybe tracks for another tank with the same linkspecs can be used.

The numbers of parts on this one is very high.It comes with a very detailed cannon and interior.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
1. Model : Jagdtiger (henschell)
2. Scale : 1:25
3. Publisher and model number : GPM nr 079 seria G
4. Skill level : 3
5. Measures : Length 42cm,width 15cm,height 12 cm

The cover

The kit contains 26 pages.
6 pages with instructions and 20 pages of parts, formers and tracks.

The instructions seems good.A lot of 3d drawings and half a page with written instructions in polish.

The print seems very good with nice colors and a lot of 3d effects like rivets and pattern on the ouside skin.

There are also available 3 sets of photoetch for this one.
I'm not sure about lasertracks for this one.....I havent seen tracks for this one anywhere.
Maybe tracks for another tank with the same linkspecs can be used.

The numbers of parts on this one is very high.It comes with a very detailed cannon and interior.

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
It's a massive build Russell!!
It seems it will suit you fine with all that details.
GPM still has it in the "old shop" sortiment.
But don't go to that site yet :)
Or else you know what happens......

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
It's a massive build Russell!!
It seems it will suit you fine with all that details.
GPM still has it in the "old shop" sortiment.
But don't go to that site yet :)
Or else you know what happens......

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
josve said:

I've got to disagree with this statement - the interior of the Jagdtiger model is limited to a representation of the engine and a simplified fighting compartment. In no way is the interior represented as it is in the later Halinski and GPM models. However, it may be a good model for an AFV modeller as an introduction to full interior models without the mind boggling complexity of some models.

The track model is limited to a simple 2-band design - I guess the production cost of pages of individual links would be quite high.

Regards,

Charlie

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Yes you are right Charlie!The interior is limited to the fighting compartment, but it sure looks jolly good :)
And for the tracks, I'm curious if there can be used track for other tanks built on the same frame.....going to do some researc on this one :)
I have got custom made tracks before for my NSU, so you'll never know what turns up!!

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
josve said:
Yes you are right Charlie!The interior is limited to the fighting compartment, but it sure looks jolly good :)
And for the tracks, I'm curious if there can be used track for other tanks built on the same frame.....going to do some researc on this one :)
I have got custom made tracks before for my NSU, so you'll never know what turns up!!

I think the Henschel suspension variant may have used the same track as the Henschel King Tiger although the number of links would be different because the hull was lenghtened compared to the King Tiger. Fortunately the GPM kit is the Henschel variant. The other variant used Porsche longitudinal torsion bar suspension like the Ferdinand/Elephant. The only data I can find without a lot of digging is in Jentz & Doyle's book on Jagdpanzers - they say the track elements were 800/300mm - I think that means width/pitch and there seem to have been 2 different types of track element with 47 of each per side.

Regards,

Charlie

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
Charlie! Great to have a guy who knows about panzers around!
Myselves I have no knowledge at all.
So if I get you right it might be that the tracks for the Kingtiger can be used.
I have to ask Rafal at Draf some questions then :)

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
josve said:
Charlie! Great to have a guy who knows about panzers around!
Myselves I have no knowledge at all.
So if I get you right it might be that the tracks for the Kingtiger can be used.
I have to ask Rafal at Draf some questions then :)

Looks like the Kingtiger track is much the same as the Jagdtiger. The images of both on www.jagdtiger.de look the same to me.

I still shake my head at the Jagdtiger - what use would such a monster vehicle be put to? Smashing Shermans and T-34s with a 128mm gun seems to be gross overkill. I'm not sure there's polite phrase in English to express this - perhaps - "C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre"

Regards,

Charlie

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
I checked on wikipedia about the Jagdtiger and here is what it said.

The Jagdtiger was a logical extension of the creation of Jagdpanzer designs from tank designs such as the Jagdpanther from the Panther tank. The Jagdtiger used a boxy superstructure on top of a lengthened Tiger II chassis. The idea for the Jagdtiger began in early 1943 and prototypes were produced by Porsche and Henschel as had been the case with the Tiger II.

The resulting vehicle featured very heavy armor and the powerful 128 mm L/55 PaK 44 gun, a development of the 12.8 cm FlaK 40 anti-aircraft gun, capable of defeating any tank fielded in World War II, even at long ranges (+3,500 meters). It had 250 mm armor on the turret front and 150 mm on the glacis plate, which made it invulnerable to any frontal fire. However it lacked a traversable turret and the main gun mount had a limited traverse of only 10 degrees; the entire vehicle had to be turned to aim outside that narrow field of fire.

It suffered from the same maladies as the King Tiger, only that they were magnified since the Jagdtiger was three tons heavier: an underpowered engine, frequent breakdowns, and poor maneuverability. These problems, along with the lack of a revolving turret, made it vulnerable to infantry with anti-tank weapons and Allied air attacks. When properly supported, the Jagdtiger had the potential to be a formidable opponent, especially at longer ranges. However, Jagdtigers were deployed in limited numbers due to the small production, further reduced by equipment shortages, low reliability, and gasoline shortages.

So it seems like a stupid kind of weapon, making a sitting duck with it's huge slow construction.....

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Ok - we've concluded the Jagdtiger was a white elephant as a weapon - so who's going to do a build thread on the GPM model?

A "real" cardmodelling hero would, of course, build the GPM King Tiger in parallel.
I think that would ensure wrist damage from cutting out all those roadwheels.

Regards,

Charlie

Well, even with all it's downfalls, it could still be a formidable opponent with the right support, due to it's firepower.
A lot of things did not fall into place for this tank, nevertheless, I still think it is a nice looking tank and will be a fun build.
Also, it will make a nice looking addition to anyones collection!

It is nice to learn the background or history of the subject. That is one of the things I really enjoy about this hobby.
I know this model may not have every single bolt modeled into it but I like the overall appearance of it and it looks like it would be fun to build, at least for me anyway!:wink:
The main thing is to build something you like and to have fun doing it!:-D

Russell

charliec said:
Ok - we've concluded the Jagdtiger was a white elephant as a weapon - so who's going to do a build thread on the GPM model?

A "real" cardmodelling hero would, of course, build the GPM King Tiger in parallel.
I think that would ensure wrist damage from cutting out all those roadwheels.

Regards,

Charlie

Maybe a little eye damage to go along with it!:roll:
I'm not that guy but that would be one hell of an interesting thread!:twisted:

Russell

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
I'm tempted......
But not a paralell build :)

The King Tiger is also on my wish list....

We'll come back to the issue in a couple of years :)
If noone have built it until then it might be taken into the heat! Or shall we say the build queue :)