J3 Cub

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
J3 Cub

My Gn15 Railroad layout is called Tobar Junction and is set in the spring of 1937, in northern Nevada. This is my first paper model build. It is a Fiddler's Green model. I think this thing will be a good addition to the layout. It is for mail delivery to Tobar. :) It is a Piper J3 Cub. A bit early for an actual J3, but Cubs were around in '37. (invoking the unlimited modeling license :D )

This is what the start looked like.

IMGP0840.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to take more pics of the progress, but here it is as of today.

IMGP0841.jpg

IMGP0842.jpg

IMGP0843.jpg

IMGP0844.jpg

IMGP0845.jpg

Note the LARGE tires. They are prototypical for rough field landings. Not sure the tires were available in '37, but this one has them. @-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
This model was built just a little over a year ago.

First the landing gear. There is florist wire through the cross brace/shock absorber as well as the main frame. The wire that goes through the main frame also sticks out to provide 'axles'. It has a loop on top that was glued to the top of the frame to give some strength and resist twisting.

IMGP0857.jpg

IMGP0858.jpg

IMGP0859.jpg

I laminated a couple of layers of card stock on top of the main landing gear frame to make the top flat, allowing the loop in the wire to become flush. Also, I blackened the edges of the top frame so it will 'disappear' when glued to the bottom of the fuselage.

Now the scary part. I DO NOT want to do this windshield again.

First, you can see the windshield with the T post center section and the skylight glued and clamped to it. This sat overnight to ensure the glue was 'dry'. I use Loctite gel type CA glue. I'm down to the last drop or two in my backup tube. I normally use a larger bottle, but I ran out and had to resort to the tiny backup tube hanging on the spares rack. grrr... hope I have enough. Must go to town. We live in the middle of nowhere and normally only go to town once a month or so.

The T post is thin aluminum. I have a bunch of the sheets that they print newspapers on. I've used it for many years for LOTS of things, but now I use TINY pieces for things like this.

IMGP0860.jpg

The big plank in this pic is the plan for holding down the skylight while the glue sets. The reinforcements inside the wing will allow me to actually clamp this.

IMGP0861.jpg

Here it is, clamped. Nothing broke or cracked. Hopefully it will stay in place when I remove the clamps. I'll outline the frame with PVA, a couple of coats, before I remove the plank and clamps.

IMGP0862.jpg

IF the windshield holds, it is on to the landing gear and tail assembly. I'm making a custom tail wheel too.

Oh, the owner of the plane has 'landed' :D a contract with a couple of small, remote gold and silver mines. He will fly the gold and silver concentrate and Doré bars out to 'civilization'. Much safer, quicker and nearly as cheap as driving a truck to the remote sites.

(A doré bar is a semi-pure alloy of gold and silver, usually created at the site of a mine. It is then transported to a refinery for furthe purification. The proportions of silver and gold can vary widely. Doré bars weigh as much as 25 kg.)
definition above stolen from wikipedia

The windshield installation worked as well as the main landing gear assembly.

IMGP0895.jpg

IMGP0896.jpg

IMGP0897.jpg

IMGP0898.jpg

There is still a lot of detailing to do, including toning down that glossy black windshield bar. Tie downs, more struts, the tail braces, etc...

We decided to do a repower and the engine is being built. The custom tail wheel assembly is done and has been installed since I took the pictures.

IMGP0892.jpg

IMGP0891.jpg

IMGP0893.jpg

IMGP0894.jpg

LOTS of work to do on the new engine. Cowling, plug wires, exhaust pipes, etc. The cylinders are sections of flexible drinking straws and the cylinder block is foam core board.

We do plan to get a custom wooden prop, but the standard one that came with the plane is installed for now (using a modified push pin to become the spinner) and the guys are going to test the engine. The young man at the controls is ready to solo, so he is in there right now (rather pale isn't he?) to see how she runs. (there's some of the florist wire inside the prop too)

IMGP0899.jpg

IMGP0900.jpg

IMGP0901.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
The engine is complete except for painting and detailing. I had to see how it looks. It will work. It is nothing fancy, but it looks better than a cardboard box. Still need those exhaust pipes, plug wires and ducting though.

IMGP0906.jpg

IMGP0907.jpg

IMGP0908.jpg

IMGP0909.jpg

IMGP0902.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Nice job. Applying some heat from a hair drier would have made forming that windshield a lot easier. This has to be one of the nicest builds of this model I have seen. I can't remember, but someone made a much more detailed engine for it. Great job, and nice pictures!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Now that I look closer, you're right, that engine looks great. I don't think thats the one that came with the model. :)

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Right. Bendy soda straw cylinders and some foam core made the engine. I still need to detail it with pipes, wires and shrouds. Some day...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The Bendy Straws is a great idea!! I'll have to remember that. :)