J V Models - Watson Siding

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by willy4, Jan 14, 2009.

1. willy4

willy4 Member

I am now in Florida For the next 3 months. I always bring some kits with me to kill time.
    Here is the first one.

Attached Files:

2. TrainGuyRom

TrainGuyRom Member

That is a good idea. I would do that when I fly to LA, but FAA doesn't aproove of X-acto knives or Testers Plastic Glue, even in checked baggage. I couldn't really mail it there, becouse by the time it arrives, my vacation is half way over. I only stay there about a week, but if I were to stay at least 3 weeks, I would mail everything over.
    I like to bring a few magizeens to school each day. it is good when my teachers are late, and after I finish a test.
    Good luck with your next kits!
  3. john12212000

john12212000 New Member

How did you do this and build it so well. I tried and it came out much sadder!
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Outstanding job! I expect it to fall down at any moment. :thumb:
  5. willy4

willy4 Member

It is a hard question because I don't know your modeling experience.
    I have been in the hobby for 30 years. I picture in my mind how I want the model to look and try to build it that way. The instructions in the kit don't tell
    you how to make it look run down. I take pictures of old run down buildings
    and look at them to get ideas. Sorry I could not be more help full.

6. BillW

BillW New Member

Hi Bill,

I love your attention to the little details. Despite viewing the model as a photo, the tar paper roofing looks beautifully curled. I'm also really fond of the way the supporting post has punched through the roof of the awning. Excellent work!
  7. ecenur

ecenur New Member

I really like the way this was done, I also really like how it's so detailed every bit of it, especially the roofing, if I didn't know any better I would've thought it was an small sized building with a perfect roof and everything. What materials did you use to make this?
  8. willy4

willy4 Member

I used the material that came in the kit. The roof was strips of felt paper.
    I sanded the paper to make it thinner. When I glued on a strip, I did not glue it all the way across, this way I was able to lift up a spot and tear it with my tweezers
    I used Bragdon Powders to high lite the tar paper.
    The same method was used on the porch.