I've taken the plunge

frenchtoast

May 17, 2005
So today i took the plunge and bought a bunch of gear for my set up.
I went to Rail 'n' Thusiast in Surrey Hills ( Melbourne, Australia ) on friday night as it seemed to be one of the few of the model train suppliers in Melbourne that stocked alot in N scale. After a while discussing what i was going to need i came back in the next day and bought up on whole bunch of stuff. I havent made a layout yet but it shouldnt be too long.

Heres what im starting off with:

Controller:
Digitrax Zephyr Basic Set

Track:
7 x Peco Code 80 1m Flex Track
2 x Peco Code 80 Streamline Electrofrog Medium Radius Right Hand
1 x Peco Code 80 Streamline Electrofrog Medium Radius Left Hand
Metal Rail Joiners
Nylon Rail Joiners
Large Sheet of Cork

Loco:
Atlas DCC GP-40 Rio Grande

Rolling Stock:
Atlas Caboose Southern
Atlas Beer Can Hooker Chemical
Micro-Trains 50' Composite Gondola Central New Jersey

Book:
N Scale Model Railroading - Getting Started in the Hobby

I got all of this brand new for AUS$485 (approx US$370)

So i cant wait till i get all this up and running.

frenchtoast

May 17, 2005
In regards to the Southern caboose. I'm not currently going for a prototypical look.

Plus i don't thnk there was a Rio Grande caboose in stock with the black/orange paint scheme (as thats what my loco has).

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Atlas has a couple of Rio Grande wide vision orange cabooses with black lettering and they have a black cupola type with orange lettering.

My local dealers never have anything in stock that I want. Everything seems to be Santa Fe or UP.

Try finding a caboose for ERIE.

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
The Rio Grande is one of my favorite looking paint schemes, have fun, update us once you start building.

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Frenchtoast,
You're off to a good start. I would consider returning the Southern caboose and seeing if they have either of these in stock, or could order one of these for you.

RGCAB1.jpg

Atlas 35963
RGCAB.jpg

Atlas 30618 or 19

Either of these would look much better bringing up the rear of your trains.

2slim
(Rabid Rio Grande Fan)

frenchtoast

May 17, 2005
I was considering as Sir_Prize suggested to practice painting some rolling stock.

I saw the Atlas 35963 but it looked cheap looking and not very nice.

The Atlas 30618 or 19 looks nice though

:wave: :Good evening Frenchtoast I like your name and I wish you enjoy the hobby as much as I do.
Age 76 live in Warragul from Melbourne in 1990 N gauge and I have a Zephyr very nice easy to use. Better make your way to Jcar for your electronic bits and pieces. I have gain tremendous assistance from this forum like wise Atlas, the American fellows are very helpful and a good bunch of chaps.
Tom. Straughair. :sleeping: it is now 11.30pm and I am tried.