It's time to go...Downtown!

MilesWestern

After twirling for months about how to fill this particular space, I finally came up with a solution: the mission style house (yet to be scratchbuilt) and car being washed by the homestead's son, girlfriend, and sister in front of the stucco garage here's the before...

downtown001.jpg

...and te after, amazing what a little WS fine turf will do to creat a fine, manacured lawn! Wish yard work was as easy as gluing the grass in place! :)

downtown2sm.JPG

Next an Edward Hopper painting of my downtown, see here's my inspiration!
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hopper/street/hopper.early-sunday.jpg

...and here's my minirature tribute to edward hopper!
hopper.JPG

Finally we have an aerial shot coutresy of google earth ;)

aerialmap.JPG

Thanks for letting me post this! Enjoy! :)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
COOL MILES:thumb: :thumb:

I like the Google "Earth Shot", Nice roof details.:thumb: :thumb:

They look great. Keep up the good work:thumb: :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Yeah, my "downtown" (Merchants Row 1 and Bralick Building) still lacks window signs and stuff. I was thinking about making some interiors, atleast ont he end where it is most visible.

jetrock

I like "Barb's Bungalow" although I am still trying to find a kit that approximates the more appropriate "California bungalow" with a different roof style--they are all over Sacramento and I want to have one on the layout. I do have a "Barb's Bungalow" though.

One thing about Spanish-style buildings is that there are multiple styles: the early adobe buildings, characterized by thick walls, castle-like proportions and wooden "vigas" (roof timbers that stick out the ends of the building) more associated with the Southwest, the more elaborate Spanish missions and Spanish colonial buildings, with elaborate carving and more varied materials, and then the late 19th/early 20th century Mission Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival buildings, including things like Moorish-style structures (popular for theaters,) the inevitable California tile roofs used on plenty of buildings otherwise totally different in style. Sacramento has some buildings otherwise built in a Federal or Classical Revival style except for the clay tile roof from Gladding McBean. Stucco buildings with clay tile roofs as prosaic as gas stations and small bungalow-type homes are all around. My own home is a vaguely Spanish-style cottage, its main styling features are stucco walls and a trio of clay tubes used as attic vents near the peak of the roof line--no clay tile on the roof, though.

I think Suydam/California Models does a cannery that is fairly Spanish Colonial looking, not sure how much you are into cardboard Suydam stuff though--it could fairly easily be turned into something other than a cannery.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Just got the Walther's monthly flyer. They just released a "Mission" styled station in a couple of styles. Looks pretty good too.
To bad I model the Northeast.

Russ Bellinis

spitfire said:
Barb's bungalow is typical of all those smaller "craftsmen" style houses in LA. Another LA looking house (to me at least) is this one: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/700-576

Val

That is dead on for houses built in So Cal in the 1920's or 30's. Most downtown areas in Cali were either built back in the 1920's or earlier, or they were built after WW2. The buildings you have so far would appear to be an older city in Ca., so the "Craftsman" style house would fit right in. I might add that most styles of houses can be found in Ca., but you generally won't find houses out here with shutters for the windows. The exception is that I've seen some ranch style houses that were built in the mid 50's where fake shutters were put on as a styling detail.