Its Monday 8-22-05, Weekend modeling accomplishments!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
We spent Saturday down the shore in Wildwood Crest, NJ. A little too much fun and sun and I spent Sunday recovering. We had to go ceiling fan shopping on Sunday for my son’s room. One of the blades broke off while the fan was in use last week. Luckily he was in the shower when it happened and no one was hurt.

I did not accomplish a lot modeling this weekend. I sealed the four locomotives I weathered the previous week. I also began working on assembling two reefers. Both are MDC/Roundhouse kits. One is Old Heidelberg Beer, the other is Wilson Meats. The family worked on the garden railroad as we laid some weed barrier under the tracks. We still have a small stretch to finish and then we start screw the rail joiners together.

NYC-BKO

Let's see:

Friday - built a couple of cars and ran trains.

Saturday - After I posted Friday got a flyer in the mail for a big sale at a LHS so I went there, anywhere from 20 to 80 % off. Well I spent alot of money but came home with, 7 engines, 15 car kits, an American crane ( dummy ) and some other odd stuff but I saved almost $500 over retail, it was worth it. Later did some break-in of some of the engines, one a P2K GP9 well it's an older one and guess, broken axle, luckily have some replacement as I requested more than I needed from LL, just for this occasion, any how replaced the bad one put it back on the track and one loop around another broke, but all is fixed and it runs great. Two other engines I broke in were ER Models sharks I got for $20 ea, although nice I'm glad I never paid retail for them not worth that.-
thumbsup.gif

Sunday - just ran trains some more and looked over the kits to see if I want to build any right now.

Hope everone had a great weekend!!!-
wave.gif

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Did not get past reading the instructions on the tanker, but have made up my mind to get a few more while still on sale... ;) :D

Passed my module frames to a friend who took the paint and so on as well. Hopefully he'll get some work done on them :D. We have set ourselves a deadline of Jan 2006 (modular rally) to get something done on those little bits of railroad real estate...!

Andrew

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
My helix never seems to get done. Had to go to my LHS to get ten more sections of flex track. A have also started rebuilding my Curtis Steel Mill

Put up 2 sections of benchwork, did the measuring for the rest of the bench work. And i added lights to the grain elevator project. and that's it for the weekend. Tonight more bench work!
:wave:

Pete

It all began Friday, with a trip to a big flea market. Six acres of stuff to plod through, and all I came out with was a fistful of used N scale flextrack that I picked up for 10 bucks without even really looking at it.
Turned out to contain 35 feet total, with 22 feet of Peco that was in fine shape :thumb:
Saturday I liberated an old hollow-core door from the 'supplies/discard' pile, and began drawing out a trackplan. I roughly followed an HO plan, the "Marquette and Independence" published in one of Kalmbach's books. It's basically a dogbone. 12" mainline radius with 11" and 9 3/4" in the sidings and yard area.
Sunday I began test-fitting and temporarily tacking down track.

Now I'm stuck because I've run out of turnouts :mad:

Ebay will soon fix that though :cool:

Tileguy

My helix never seems to get done. Had to go to my LHS to get ten more sections of flex track
LOL, Robin, this reminded me of another modeler friend who built a helix.He lost track of how many trips to the LHS it took to finish it. Fortunatly he was only a couple miles away from the Hobby shop.
He cleaned them out of HO flex more than once :)

Another reason to stay away from Helix's if at all possible.
I'm kinda liking the train elevator idea myself as being more practical in space and realistically not costing a whole lot more when all is said and done.I believe i saw them available prebuilt and motorized for around 5-600.00
I have never built a Helix myself but I can imagine it costing when all is said and done 300 + in HO depending on size,turns etc.Not to mention the huge amount of labor involved.

You are a very Brave Soul Robin :)

tillsbury

I made a similar but opposite muck-up when I designed my layout on the computer. It brings up a box that shows you how many of each turnout and stuff you need. So off I go, ordered 25 LH, 28 RH, 3 curved each way and one wye, and 68 pieces of flextrack. Lovely lovely off we go. We'll have another 10 flextrack for luck, say I. Once I'd just about finished laying all the track, I realised my mistake. The software had itemised every piece of flextrack I'd layed, even the 2" long bits... Not the total number of yard-long bits... D'Oh! So I've got just a little too much track I think... Ah well, it'll all come in useful for the next stage, eh? :)

If I'd have thought about it I would have realised that 78 yards is well over 200 feet of track, and probably more than would reasonably fit on an 8x4...

Charles

ausien

modeling: I didnt get a chance to do any this weekend,:( but I did get to use my new spray gun on a cabinette:D , but no modeling...:cry: :cry: :cry: have a good one..steve

Ray Marinaccio

I got all kinds of new projects at the train show Saturday.
We helped clean up after the show then went to a cookout for the club members afterward.
I spent most of the day Sunday sorting out what we got and watched a Conrail video my wife bought.