It's MONDAY 11-29-04, weekend modeling accomplishments!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The long weekend for some us is over. How did you do?

I straightened up the layout a little over the weekend. I did run trains for a time as I continued to break in my new P2K Reading FA1 and FB1. I also successfully test ran a train on the Passenger Station Diorama. I can’t hook the diorama into the temporary layout right now due the height difference and a tunnel clearance issue.

Pictures can tell what got done over the 4 day weekend a lot beter then words.
My son and I took these
nov2420041.jpg

and put them up into a layout on Thursday the begining of our weekend.
nov270414.jpg

Then after that was up we added the yard tracks and scenery
nov294.jpg

And last night I added the city to that section of the layout same blocks from my old layout
nov2911.jpg

nov295.jpg

brakie

Since the club meeting for Sunday was canceled due to a power outage I spent most of yesterday finishing the gear replacement in my P2K GP7/9/30s. I replaced the gears with Athearn's..And that my friends should end the old crack gear problem. :thumb:

spitfire

Wow, good work Trains1972!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Here at my place it's end of semester, which means marking, marking, and more marking and no working on the layout. :cry:

Val

This weekend I had some time to work on assembling my N Scale sawmill building that I received last weekend after having the 1/16" basswood laser cut. I gave it a rough coat of paint and installed the metal roofing. The main building is 8"x14" and with the drying dock, the overall length is 3'. Here's an overview:

sawmill_from_kiln_end_high.jpg

I also separated the drying dock supports from the sheet of laser-cut parts and learned the importance of using a very sharp (read that new) X-acto Knife blade. The framework uprights and loading ramp are cut at 1/16" and all the scrap within the framework became stacks of drying lumber.

The building in the foreground will be a kiln building. The yard will be to the left. The ramp on the left side is for scooting lumber down to a level where railroad cars can be loaded. Heres another view from the end.

sawmill_from_kiln_end.jpg

I put together the small powerhouse building.

power_house.jpg

The foundation is DAP lightweight spackle, rolled to a uniform depth and a stone pattern was stamped into the material with the metal end of a pencil after removing the eraser. (You might have seen this technique in Nov. Model Railroader used on wood.) Touch-up and a smokestack are another days work.

I set it on the section of the layout where it will live and propped up the lumber docks. The lighting was poor but it gave the roof a pleasing copper appearance.Track work in the yard will probably be next weekend's project.

sawmill_rear.jpg

The pond with a log dump loading was started also. If work doesn't cut into modeling time, perhaps there will be more accomplishments next weeend.

Wayne

Good Afternoon, Crew!

I've been trying to get at my RR room in the basement (counts towards modeling, right? ;) ). I Dry-Locked the stone and mortar walls about 3 years ago and it needed a couple of spot patches. I have had a dividing wall with basic wiring in since early spring and now I need to get another push going. Yesterday I painted one wall with an exterior semi-gloss color going with my decorating scheme. Once the stone walls are painted, I have to finish the sheetrock dividing wall, put in a drop ceiling, paint the floor, and then put in the cabinets and work counter. I want to have it completed by the spring before I start on exterior house stuff. Once done, the benchwork can then begin!! :p

Russ :wave:

Ray Marinaccio

I spent the last week keeping the relatives entertained.
This of coarse included running trains as well as keeping the golf cart charged and running, helping my brother assemble 2 new motorcycles he had still in the crates in his barn and giving rides.
Everyone had a great time, even my nephew Matt who had 2 unplanned off-road experiences.
The first was on the way down from Montana.

Attachments

• Thanksgiving 040001.jpg
    Thanksgiving 040001.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 133

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I did get to go through some of my trains early saturday morning cause i didn't sleep at all friday night into saturday and set the ones aside that need some more fixing up. Other than that i spent the rest of the weekend with my brother and talked with him and got some more christmas stuff out and getting ready to go through it and hang it up and everything. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Have A Safe & Wonderful Week Everyone :wave:

NYC-BKO

Thanks Tom for getting things started.

For me. NADDA, NADDA & more NADDA!!!

I was only home to sleep this weekend, worked pretty much every hour. I did run some trains waiting to go to work.
This morning I got my Walthers order so I got a ton of work to do, 2 cars & 3 cabooses plus an auto frame rack. Plus the other 50 kits and engine rebuilds I have set up to do that I got over the summer.:eek:

Hope everyone had a great weekend!:wave:

Glen Haasdyk

I continued working on my control panel. I installed all the DPDT switches and cut and assembled the frame pieces. When I got home from work today I painted them all in green to match the control panel itself. Hope my wife doesn't mind the smell of drying paint too much.

jetrock

Spent most of the weekend visiting the mother-in-law in Redding, so my main "modeling accomplishments" were visiting two of Redding's three hobbyshops (coming away with little but a Western Pacific 50' gondola) and giving my nephew a few more pieces for his toy train (some serviceable Tyco rolling stock and an engine.)

Sunday I worked all day at the Railroad Museum and saw some nice club layouts (The weekend after Thanksgiving various toy-train and model railroad groups come and set up their layouts at the museum), and met a fellow Gaugian (whose name I unfortunately do not recall, due to my sieve-like memory for names--no offense, it was nice talking with you!) who was there with what was (in my opinion) the best modular club layout there that day.

jsolie

Actually, I got quite a bit of stuff done. My brother came down and we worked on his little layout a bit. It's a two-level layout, with nearly a simple circle going around a 4 foot diameter table top. The tracks don't interconnect. We're building this mainly just to see what's entailed in making larger layouts.

We finished applying plaster cloth to a carboard lattice base. The best part about this is that since I work for a hospital supply company, I can get plaster gauze cheeeep :D

Here's an overview of the layout. The blank cardboard space at the bottom of the picture is where the tunnel will go.

Layout with hardshell.jpg

Also, some cast rocks were applied using a light weight spackle to adhere the castings to the hardshell:
Some Rocks.jpg

And here's an opening for the tunnel:

Tunnel opening.jpg

I also did some work re-wiring my test track (known as the CLL--the Cheesy Little Layout) to eliminate some nasty voltage drops.

Given how much I've managed to do in the past 6 months, this was quite an accomplishment. :) :)

-- John