It's MONDAY 11-15-04, weekend modeling accomplishments!

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
It's Monday once again. Time to go back to work. So what did everyone get done this weekend?

First off, my weekend was a busy one. I didn't get to order the decals i wanted to cause i had to get all the christmas lights out of the attic and see what ones worked and what ones didn't work, also i was taking the cab off of my GP38-2 High Hood and in the process it broke right down the middle and little plastic pieces went everywhere, so instead of glueing the cab back together i just turned it into a powered slug unit. That was Saturday. For Sunday, i got to paint some of the slug unit, put a passenger consist together, getting it ready for a photo, & went through more christmas lights. What a fun and eventful weekend i had. How was everyone else's?

Have A Safe & Wonderful Week Everyone :wave:

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
I did not get done what I wanted to this weekend. I got a little more done on the city. I got one building done and the poles and wires done for the next two blocks that still needs buildings for.
IM2108.jpg

Good Morning, Crew! :wave:

I started in on my 'forgotton project' project. I have a number of 90% (or less) completed projects that need to be finished up so that I can get them off of the bench and packed away. A tank car that needs one last decal and a coat of flat lacquer. A caboose that needs a grab iron repair. Another caboose that needs to be repainted. A reefer that needs some spot painting and one final decal applied. You get the idea. That's going to be it for awhile or untill my new Bethlehem Car Works DL&W RPO/baggage combine kit arrives at my LHS! ;)

Russ

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Thanks again Matthew for getting it started.

I had a pretty good weekend. Ran trains on Friday night. Saturday was the train show and although I didn't find everything on my list, I did get trains. Got a P2K SW-8, a Stewart RS-12 and a BachmannPlus F7B, I know but they run real good, I've been running one with an Atlas unit and they MU perfect also with Athearn RTR F's, just need detailing. I got the switch I needed and measured everything up Sat. nite will cut it in soon for the siding also have an inside switch so I can have 2 industries. I did get one of them by accident, an IHC built up cement plant ($5), small but fits the space perfect, I found out why they're so cheap, when you run the track on the platform the cars hit the top sides, so I removed the ties and ran the rails only and they fit but barely, 35' covered hoppers only in this plant. It just needs some paint and a few details. I also finally broke down and picked up some Walthers passenger cars 2 Budd coaches and a PS coach, I finally have a passenger train.
I did have to run my new engines and cars, also got two of the Atlas 3 bay cylindrical LO's in 60's schemes.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!:thumb:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I am even on time and you beat me this morning Matthew. Thanks for getting it going.

We wound up starting our Christmas shopping! Santa is basically done which hopefully means more time for trains. On Saturday afternoon we went looking for a Christmas dress for my daughter. We found it in Delaware. Of course my son found a sweater and turtleneck outfit with a steam train on it that he had to have. By the time we walked out of the place we dropped $236.00. We then stopped in Mitchell’s Hobbies and my daughter got her brother and me something. I on the other hand came away with nothing even though they were having their annual buy one get the second half off sale. I saw several things I liked but I think it was a combination of spending a couple hundred dollars already and the funk I am in because I am frustrated at not getting the bench work started. Maybe we will go again next week and I’ll have an attitude readjustment.

However, on the bright side, I had an operating session with my six year old son and one of his friends on Saturday morning. We ran my son’s Walthers CSX GP-15 and the LNE 0-8-0 switchers. The boys had a great time picking out the cars and placing them in the yard for the locomotive to come and get. I added window glazing to my custom painted MDC LNE caboose. Looks like I am going to be adding window glazing to a few more cabooses.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I got the 'water' down on the harbour and built and stained the seawall. After that I started work on the pier, building that out of 1/8" ply and 1/4" dowels for the pilings. Next I have to glue the pier down to the water and set the track down on that

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,I operated this weekend..Next weekend I will be replacing some crack gears in 2 more of my P2K GP9s.. :mad: I thought I had this problem solved after I cleaned out that ton of grease Life Like uses..I thought wrong! :cry:
One of two things will happen...I will replace ALL of these gears in ALL of my P2K(except for the 11 that has already been replace) locomotives with Athearn's or I will sell the bloody things.This is now 15 out of 38.And that says the C&HV management is getting unacceptable.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Saturday I spent at the train show--spent around $200 on a hatful of stuff (had to make three trips back out to the car to unload!) including a Walthers SW-1 (runs REALLY well, although it wobbles at low speeds--I think due to the plastic tube it has for a universal gear--but the flywheel and motor are amazing), another Bachmann GE 44-tonner (can't get enough of those!), a Roundhouse boxcab diesel kit (soon to be a boxcab electric), an armload of rolling stock (I needed some tank cars, hoppers and gondolas--too many boxcars in my current mix!), assorted structures, and a couple of dozen pieces of inexpensive detail bric-a-brac.

Saturday night I had a live show with my band so I didn't have a chance to play with my goodies until Sunday.

Sunday I cleaned up my purchases and tested out all the rolling stock that wasn't still in kit form (The way to go "RTR" without breaking the bank is buying up a bunch of used rolling stock for $2-4 each, adding metal wheelsets and Kadees where necessary) and sorting the parts into my various parts bins.

Then I was faced with my big slab of benchwork I set up last weekend. I had finally mapped out a track plan I can live with, and here are some photos:

BlueDiamond.jpg

This is the overall view: total measurement is 3'x6', consisting of one 1'x6' board and one 2'x2' board.

The spur to the left will serve a fruit-packing plant (California Packing Corporation, later Del Monte), to the right of that is the California Almond Growers Association (aka Blue Diamond Almonds), next is the main line (which leads to the yard module, under the Southern Pacific berm.) To the right of that is a dairy and a small runaround to facilitate switching. In the foreground is a small yard used for locomotive storage and light maintenance (I still need to cut a hole for the pit and lay flextrack there--right now it's sectional track for testing/clearance purposes) and a small freight house/team track.
bd7.jpg

A close-up of the Del Monte spur. Radius is 12", with an outside guardrail (mostly for looks, but it helps keep trucks on the track.) It managed a string of 50' boxcars, my largest rolling stock, with no problem, and the prototype was almost as sharp (originally intended for interurban freight cars that could handle such curves.)
bd8.jpg

Overhead view from the SP berm. I considered including an interchange track (the prototype had one) between the berm and the mainline but just don't have room--as it is it functions as a good separator of the two scenes--small layouts benfit from dividers to create a greater illusion of space. There was an article in Model Railroader about a year ago about building an underpass that is about a city block from this spot.

bd9.jpg

Close-up of the industrial trackage. It looks a bit cluttered but the prototype was equally busy and complex in appearance. Here's a shot of the prototype from the same location:
59.jpg

I would have liked to model the double slip switch in the foreground but couldn't find a suitable one. I have to do some under-table work for the wiring and then it's time for scenery...

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
SAL Comet said:
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS! :eek: What happened to Thanksgiving?
When you live this close to the East Coast - & all these cities - you put up the X-mas lights the day Before you take down the halloween decorations :(

Thanksgiving is an "Indoor / Family holiday :)

all the malls are compleatly decorated for X-mas & have been for a couple weeks now :( :( My mom says soon they will start right after Labor Day :( :( :(

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I've had a busy week working on two bash projects. The first is an attempt to bash a Boston and Maine Class R-1-d heavy Mountain, the heaviest Mountains built in the USA. The chassis is a cut down (new) Bachmann 4-8-4 with the latest refinements. A few details still need to be added: handrails from the boiler to the pilot deck, adjust the bell angle, and add number boards to the headlight fixture.

ajm.jpg

ajl.jpg

Second is a wooden coach with a narrow vsetibule built on the open platform. Not based on any particular prototype, it was inspired by several Northern New England prototypes I've seen in pictures and, I "just had to have" one. It was bashed from an MDC 50' "sleeper" and a 50' "business car".

ajo.jpg

Dick

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Your Welcome NYC-BKO, LOL Your Welcome Tom.

Great Pictures Everyone.

Originally Posted By SAL Comet
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS! :eek: What happened to Thanksgiving?

LOL, Yep Christmas Lights already. Like N Gauger said you put them up before you take down the halloween decorations. I have been planning on how i am going to be putting the lights up on the house this year. I have seen stores already decorated a week before Halloween was over. It is better to get them up early instead of waiting till it is freezing out to do it.

Have A Safe & Wonderful Week Everyone :wave:

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Ran trains at the open house, along with watching Shaygetz entertaining the kids with Thomas, Annie, & Claribel. Nothing like seeing a "heard" of kids saying "Wheres Thomas!!!???".... "There he is!!!!!!" all of the sudden a stampede of kids flocking to wherever Thomas is. And of course "Its okay to touch Thomas while he's resting" You can never get enough of that. Almost makes me not want to wait to have kids to "corrupt" with trains :D