It's going WHERE????????????

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I just watched the fifth and final race. America's cup, the oldest trophy in sports, is going to Switzerland!!! Aren't they landlocked?
To America's cup...

Attachments

• amcup.jpg
    amcup.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 180

mransr

I just hope they choose a race location that has consistent winds...since going to New Zeland the America's Cup races seem to be desided by who has the best "weather team" :mad: not the best boat or crew...

RailRon

Sumpter, you're right!

The nearest seacoast is about 200 miles from Switzerland - and as a Swiss landrat I enjoy of course the overwhelming victory of the Swiss team (5 wins in 5 consecutive races).

A consolation for the beaten Kiwis might be, that the skipper of the Swiss 'Alinghi' is a New Zealander, too. :D
(Although I find it a lot less funny, that the families of the New Zealandish members of the Alinghi team were threatend violently by so called 'patriots'. So much for the 'spirit of sports' :( For these fanatics one should replace the 'patr' by 'id' ;) :p )

Ron

BTW: Beautiful ship model on your pic. What ship is it? (I also built a few ship models but older types - 16th century)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
BTW: Beautiful ship model on your pic. What ship is it?

Ron,
The ship is "America", it's a 1/96 scale model that I built 34 years ago, and gave to my father as a Christmas gift. My parents decided to give back the special gifts, when they were putting their estate in order. They didn't want anyone "fighting" over things like that.
Mransr
Because of the international composition of the sindicate that brought "Alinghi" to the challenge, there are several places where the race could be held. I believe Naples, Palma Majorca, and somewhere on the southwest coast of Portugal are being considered. The heavily favored by those who know sailing seems to be Portugal, because the winds and seas are more favorable in the Atlantic. That choice would put the race back in virtually the same waters as the original, in 1870.
If the company who made the spars for Team New Zealand, ever gets into the model railroading business, I think I'll avoid their products at all costs. Mast...broke, Boom...broke, Spinaker pole...broke! If I had invested the $millions, I think I'd be just a touch upset.
Pete

Nice model pete, she was a hotrod in her day for sure.

At the finish leg of first ever race I think it was the Queen of England who asked who was first, the reply was the Americans, she then asked who was second, the reply was I don't see a second, :D

t.

Vic

Originally posted by t. alexander

At the finish leg of first ever race I think it was the Queen of England who asked who was first, the reply was the Americans, she then asked who was second, the reply was I don't see a second, :D
t.

But on the other hand one of the Queen's favorite Rolls Royces' broke a rear axel and was subsequently towed to the Rolls dealership where it was repaired and returned to service.

Several months past but no repair bill was forthcoming from the dealership. On inquiring concerning the cost of this repair the Queen's transportation officer received the following reply from the dealership....."Please advise Her Majesty that Rolls Royces' DO NOT break rear axels.":D :D :D

Woodie

Poor old New Zealand. Every time they put their boat in the water, it broke.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then again, ours did too, last time. Hit a 2' wave, snapped in half and sank!:eek: