It's Been Awhile!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I haven't spent much time in the realm of O gauge for awhile. This weekend I got out my old O27 toys for the first time in over a year. My daughter and I did a quick floor layout and gave them all a run.

My poor old Marx 666 need an overhaul badly. It is not running well at all and I don't have the experience to really give it the going over it needs. If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who is good with restoring these old engines, I'd greatly appreciate it. I just do not want to risk tearing into it and messing it up for good.

With that aside, I decided to have some fun and dug my old wireless cam out. I taped it down to the top of my caboose and shot this little video. It's not the best quality by any means and for some reason, it got really grainy when I uploaded it to YouTube. It gives a neat view of my living room though. :D

I really miss running these big, old trains. I wish I had the space to put them up permanently somewhere.
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Its that time of year again. Around the tree and around the floor. Must be the desire to go back to our youth. I'm glad you still have the three rail stuff and someone to share it with. Keep on railroading. Jim K.
  3. Cannonball

Something about the holidays really makes me want to run those old trains.
    Probably because I got that very engine in the video for Christmas in 1974 or 75.
    I was 5 or 6 years old at the time.

It went into storage at my Aunt's house when I was a teenager and I got it back two years ago at Thanksgiving. I was really amazed it still ran at all but it's the best running engine of the three I have now.
  4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Cannonball...That video gave me a good idea....My grandsons will be coming over for Christmas, and I had thought of setting up my ol' AF on the floor for them...But I always set it up as a rectangle with a figure 8 crossing in the center. I think I got enough track around to do a more "wandering" sort of set-up...Thanks for posting it..!! :thumb:
  5. Cannonball

Glad I could help inspire someone. :)
  6. Cannonball

No input on reliable repair shops for old Marx engines? :confused:
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Pretty much anyone who can work on a Lionel can work on a Marx, but really, you can do it yourself. The Marx motor is really simple, which means not much major can go wrong with it, and it doesn't take much to fix it.

Since the loco ran relatively recently, I'd start by giving the drive wheels and the copper pickup a good cleaning. Alcohol would work best. Usually I flip a Marx loco over, connect one wire from the transformer to the copper pickup, loop the other wire around the rear truck or coupler, apply power, then apply some alcohol to a cotton swab and touch the swab to each wheel. Once the swab is dirty, use a new swab. Don't be surprised if you go through a half dozen swabs per wheel.

If that doesn't do the trick, spray the whole motor down with contact cleaner (a can from a hardware or auto parts store will cost about $6--CRC is a good brand), then set the locomotive down, wheels facing the ground, on some newspapers and let the cleaner drip out along with whatever crud might be inside. Let it dry thoroughly for a few hours. Lubricate the gears and axles again, run it for about 10 minutes in both directions, and it should quickly get to the point of running like a rabbit again.

If all that fails, PM me. I can probably get the motor running again, or if not, I know I have a working motor for a 666 that I could swap in.
  8. Cannonball

What do you know about the smoker? I've been asked if there is a plug in the top of it and there isn't. Should there be one? Also, what's best for smoke fluid on these? I've been using mineral oil but it leaks and gets the whole loco oily. I'm guessing that's probably part or most of what's causing my running problems now.
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Hmm, it's been a while since I looked at one, but it shouldn't leak. I use mineral oil for smoke fluid also. If that's leaking out, it can definitely cause other problems. The oil isn't conductive and will hurt traction. I'll bet that's causing your problems because the Marx motor is about as bulletproof as it comes. They used to repair them for free, and Louis Marx was a cheapskate, so it was cheaper to make them so they wouldn't break in the first place so he wouldn't have to fix them. Too bad things aren't like that anymore!

Let me see if I can dig out my spares and I'll see if I have one with a good smoke unit.
  10. Cannonball

I appreciate the look-see. :)
  11. Cannonball

On a side note:
    Is It blasphemy to paint a Marx 666 this way?

I really like the paint scheme.
    Although there's something to be said for basic black as well.
    Maybe I should try and acquire a second. :D
  12. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

No luck. Watch my parts stash turn up this summer. As for repainting, why not? It's a dirt common loco, so if you see one with bad paint you aren't hurting anything.