It's a woman's perogative.....

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
........ to change her mind!!! This is the latest version of my trackplan. I guess this is what happens when you think too much. I decided to get rid of the dogbone and do a lift out instead. I want some point to point but I also want to be able to kick back and watch the nice trains run around!!!!

Val

Attachments

• track.jpg
    track.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 418

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Val - I was just perusing an old issue of MR showing the Reid bros. layout with a "duckunder" which they used a small wheeled stool to get under - just sit on the stool and roll under it. Easier than squatting, less hassle than a liftout or hinged lift-up... Just a thought, but might be useful especially if you're placing the layout relatively high up to start with...

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks folks! :) :)

kchronister - the height is 40" - the elevated track is at 43" (which will be the height of the lift out). Because it's right across the door into the room, I'd like to have it hinge down, and raise it only when operating.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Chris, you are very perceptive. It is indeed my new engine that motivated me to design a set-up where I can run longer trains. That and my sudden obsession with passenger cars!!!

Ralph - I like the sounds of that!! Manifest Destiny - most suitable for a robber baronness!!

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val: can I suggest that the removable section be either a lift up or a hinged swing out? Drop down bridges have extra problems and may take up space in your door way. Lift ups are held in place by gravity.
And make sure you have some way of putting a dead section in BOTH sides of the removable. (see Desjardins Canal train wreck.)
I've found an interesting article that gives consists of trains pulled by 5704 and 5702.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the advice David. I know that section will be tricky and I will probably ask for lots of help when I get to it.

Could you tell me where you found the article on 5702 and 5704? I'd really like to read it.

Val

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Val,
I think you have a great plan unfolding here. I would like to share an experience I had with a similar previous layout, (mine didn't have the city penninsula, unfortunatly, would have been a great asset!!) anyway the main line on my old layout did the straight-curve-straight thing and I found it very difficult to arrange the passing sidings and industry spurs to not be repitious as you move from side to side. I have taken notice of 'around the wall' layout designs since then and there have been many designs that have showed up in the Model Railroad Planning annual magazines which have caught my eye. Here is a link to one issue in particular:
MRP 2000
I'm not tying to convince you to scrap your plan, just to observe what others have done with 'around the wall' plans for inspiration. I know that I got bored rather quickly with the arrangement of the main on my old layout. I had to scrap my old layout when I moved to an apartment, but if I ever build another 'around the wall' it's going to be influenced by the layouts I'm seeing in these books.

2slim

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Slim - thanks for the link. Unfortunately, all it links to is lists of issues of MR Planning, with no actual track plans. :(

I guess I'll do a Google search and see if I can find what you're talking about....or, would you care to post the one you have?

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Val,

The new plan looks nice - I like the around the walls, even at the expense of a duckunder (rollunder?) ;)

I have a few comments that you might find useful. I would raise the whole layout to the height of the duckunder - the relatively steep grades (3%) will limit your train lengths, especially when combined with any curves. Also, the tighter radii (several spots show 18"R) will probably operate ok, but won't look great with longer rolling stock and passenger cars. Lastly, you do not show any staging for the long trains you wish to run.

For that last point, I would direct you to Mike Hamer's Boston & Maine which uses "surround staging". I do not recall the dimensions of your layout, but Mike has doen some pretty amazing stuff in 11x13 feet - see http://www.ovar.ca/Mike Hamer/Hamer.htm and MRP 2001, and Great Model Railroads 2004. I would also suggest contacting Mike if you have any questions. He is a great guy to talk to, and always has good advice. If you want to follow up, PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Andrew,
I've seen Mike's track plan - I've even downloaded it. Very cool, but I would worry about being able to reach the staging.
The 18" radius curves you see on my plan are exclusively for use of freight trains. I'll be running 40 ft boxcars and SW1200s through there. The outer track is elevated mainly for scenic purposes, and is something I really want to have. That's where passenger service will run - with all 30" radius curves.
Staging was not shown on this plan to fit withing the Gauge's photo size rules. It will be 2 tracks running downwards from the bottom right corner. One will connect to the elevated mainline and the other to the freight yard.
Val