It's a Plane! It's a Ship! It's a WIG.......

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Fishcarver, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

2. goney3

goney3 Member

That is a very beautiful model! :)
  3. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Sort of Cries out for a Paper Replica,

doesn't it?

I love that wierd Soviet hardware.

4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Flankerman (aka Ken Duffey) is one of my oldest mates!! We were founder members of the Avon Scale Model Society, which meets third thursday of the month at the Longwell Green Community Centre. All welcome; just say Dumbcluck sent you. (OK, you'll have to refer to me by my old name, Tim; they wouldn't understand the Dumbcluck bit....)

Other members include John Lewis who makes brilliant cars and bikes, Ian Bryant (mostly 1:48 Japanese and Luftwaffe aircraft) Francis MacNaughton (Royal Navy landing craft and warships) and a bunch of others. Kevin, you reading this?!! Back me up! And see you next Thursday!

6. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thanks for the great links and pictures.

Here is another one of WIG/ekranoplanes/shipwings

So do models of these things go in ships or airplanes?
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The first time I think I ever heard of this the Old Discovery Channel program WINGS did a blurb on this hybrid plane and I was hooked!

Cool links everybody.

Lizzie maybe you should do them a better (real) paper model instead of their flat 2D cut-outs!:twisted:

Glad to see that I'm not the only one captivated by this ground-effect plane! Well except for Lizzie!:grin:

8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, I saw that vehicle on TDC's Wings too. It is a neat concept. :)

Here is a simple model to demostrate a surface effect object. I re-enforced the hook for the rubber band with an extra layer of cardstock. They easily scoot across a hard floor surface.

WISE model
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey SCE thanks for the link!

I have got to get to a gym and give this baby a try......... too much junk in my hallway for successful flight:cry:

10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yeah, Bowdenja, the gym floor should give some good flights. :)
    I use electrical tape to hold the rubberband to the floor. Works good unless I get over enthusiastic and try for a very long flight. Duct tape would probably work as good or better.
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Yow! thanks for the link to the working model.

I'll have to try it both with their simple version and with my own version of a WIG.

I might have to change my wing design yet again.

12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I think I might try running it over an ice-rink if I can figure out how to attach the rubberband to the ice.
    Hey, how about giving the distance for these things.
  13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Chip a small hole in the ice, put the rubberband end in it, fill it with water, wait.
  14. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I moving this to it's own thread. Titles Wise wig.